What's new

Doris Day on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I really feel that her filmography is under represented on DVD. She made many good light comedies & dramas during the 1950's & 1960's. The following are a few of those films not yet available on DVD:
1. Teacher's Pet
2. Midnight Lace
3. The Thrill of it All
4. Please Don't Eat the Daisies
I for one would buy almost any of her films from the above mentioned time period. Hopeful any that are released will be OAR!:frowning: ;)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Jeff you're not alone as I would like to see more of her movies released on dvd as well. At the moment the only ones I have are the Pajama Game (dvd) and was fortunate enough to find Lucky Me (with Robert Cummings,Phil Silvers,Eddie Foy Jr.-who also stars in Pajama Game-,and Nancy Walker)on laser disc in it's original 2.35 AR. She sure can sing and I never tire of her better films.If you look on ebay any of her movies that are offered in widesreen format usually command fairly high prices. Someone offered The Glass Bottom Boat in a widescreen LBX laserdisc and I believe it went for around 35.00. With all of the garbage being produced these days it would be nice to see more films from the 50's & 60's released for those of us who yearn for the more sensible and heartwarming productions the studios created back then. At least, that is how I feel about the situation. Tea for Two anyone?:) ;) :)

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I have Pillow Talk which was released a few years back from Universal. It's non-anamorphic widescreen, but still looks pretty good w/ vibrant colors. I would love to see it rereleased with the treatment it deserves along with Glass Bottom Boat, With Six You Get Eggroll, etc. I don't understand why these have been ignored!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
As long as we are on the topic.
Both Pillow Talk and The Pajama Game could stand improvement as well.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
"Love Me Or Leave Me" is probably her best dramatic role. It's an MGM film and has a true stereo soundtrack (there's lots of 20s songs). Co stars James Gagney.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
My favorite Day film is Lover Come Back - sure would like to get that one on the shiny disc!

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Artisan's THAT TOUCH OF MINK is just an okay disc. Non-anamorphic, mono sound, and a trailer, I think is all you get. Part of a two-pack with INDISCREET. Yes, my wife loves her Cary Grant...and @ $8 per disc average, easy to trade up if better versions come along.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I agree with all the posts above and would very much like to have DVD's of all these movies. It would also be great to have anamorphic reissues of That Touch of Mink and Pillow talk.

It's just unimaginable to me that all these wonderful movies should be withheld from DVD. I'm sure most of them would require some work, but they can't be all that bad off.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What the heck, why not her television series, which I have fond memories of watching a bajillion years ago.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
No, you are not alone, and none of my faves are on dvd yet....By the Light of the Silvery Moon, and Teacher's Pet ("Mr. Gallagher!" she scolds as she staggers away from Gable's lips).....and I laugh out loud every time I see her in the live tv bit with Carl Reiner in Thrill of It All. ("I'm Beverly Boyer and I'm a pig!").
She was the number one box office star in the sixties, but very underrated now, it seems.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Add this as well: Move Over Darling and Caprice.

Also the one with Rod Taylor (is that the Glass Bottom Boat)?

While were on it (and since a lot of the classic comedic Doris Day is from Universal) - what about the Lana Turner/Ross Hunter classics (Madam X, Imitation of Life)?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to replace my VHS Lana Turner/Ross Hunter classics (Madam X, Imitation of Life) with nice DVD versions.
;) ;) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks