Doors: LA Woman (DVD-A) left shift in vocals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryIII, Mar 21, 2002.

1. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

I was listening to my new copy of LA Woman (DVD-A)last night and noticed a definate left shift with Jim Morrison's voice. Has anyone else noticed this? Could I have a bad copy? I did not get a chance to listen to the whole disc but it was very noticable on LA Woman and Riders of the Storm. I am not a huge fan of multi channel music but IMHO you have never experienced Riders of the Storm until you have hears it in DVD-A multi channel. It is just breath taking.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Hi Jerry,
    I have no problem with my copy.. [​IMG]

3. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I've read many people state this disc was didn't satisfy them. Is it worth a purchase or is it one to stay away from?

Thanks.

4. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

John,

I don't believe that this disc is up to the standards of other DVD-A discs such as Hotel California. I have also noticed that the bass track on this disc is weak. Like I said before though, Riders of the Storm is awesome.

Jerry

BTW I am listening to this disc on my Panasonic RP-91 connected via the 6 channel pass through on my pre amp.

5. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

The reason you might find the bass track weak is that most, if not all, of the main bass parts are mixed to the center channel (with very little LFE). You need a really good center channel speaker to bring out the best with this disc.

In fact, not only is the bass mixed to the center channel, but so are Morrison's vocals, as well as the majority of the drum tracks.

If you seem to hear Morrison's vocals shifted to the left, I wonder if your hearing off-axis playback from your center channel speaker?

Personally, I feel the Doors DVD-Audio disc is a pretty good disc, but you do have to remember it was one of the first the Warner DVD-Audio discs released November 2000. It appears from the more recent releases that Warners has learned a thing or two about what makes a quality DVD-Audio disc.

I just hope that the re-introduction of DVD-Audio by Warners (sometime in April) brings good things.