What's new

DOOM III: Gold news & Half Life 2 min req. (1 Viewer)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I think you need the latest drivers from ATI for your video card.

I think there is a certain problem with ATI cards freezing or bringing back to the desktop.

Check www.planetdoom.com for more tweaks/fixes and the like.

Ray

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Hey Chris, have you tried getting ATI's beta Catalyst drivers?

Here they are for you to download. I know they help improve performance as far as the game goes, maybe they'll also help you to actually get to play it.

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Raymond and Gregg, I appreciate the help. Once I get off work today I'll give those tweaks a try. Much Appreciated guys!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Chris - Check your Virtual Memory settings. I read on another forum where someone was having similar problems because their virtual memory was set to less than 400MB. Once they set it greater than 400MB (520MB), it ran fine.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just beat it! Best fucking game ever. I'm amazed with how much I loved the story. Watching the credits after beating the game was like sitting through the credits after a great film. What an experience.

More thoughts later.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

Hmmmm, your copy of the game must have had a different "story" than mine did. My copy has a really lame attempt at a story but I know the game is just a tech demo with weapons so it's ok, I'm not upset about it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I just wish they told us much more about the original inhabitants of Mars, but still satisfied.

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Well guys, I'm still not having any luck. I'm not over clocking. I've installed the new ATI beta Catalyst driver, the new DirectX from Microsoft, and even tried reinstalling.

I've scoured other Doom forums, but I have no findings. I am utterly baffled by what is going on. It suck that I pait $55 for 3 nice coasters. Anybody have any final tips?

Thanks for your help though

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Tim, I checked my system's virtual memory, and it was more than needed according to various resources. I appreciate that tip however.

After talking to Activision, I have been advised to update my drivers for my Video card, Sound Card, MOBO Driver, and still have no luck. Geesh, this is getting to be a real pain.

I will let you guys know if I make any progress.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

Sorry, that comment wasn't meant to insult you. I was just voicing my disapointment with the storyline, especially since id kept hyping this as a great single player experience. To me, I need a better storyline for this game to qualify as anything but a really enjoyable tech demo. It's sort of like the Armageddon of gaming as opposed to the Alien of gaming (ala Half-Life). All flash and no sizzle.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Jonathan, I understand your position, but I completely disagree. Quake 3 was a tech demo, Doom 3 combines story elements from great games like System Shock 2 and Half-Life into a relatively engrossing story. Of course one of the purposes of the game is to showcase the new engine (and I agree with Gregg :)), but there are so many little tidbits from remaining scientists (ala Half-Life) and the PDA. With the Martian back-story, it makes it feel like a more cinematic experience.

Did you play through the entire game? Either way, as I said previously in this thread...to each his own. I'm with Morgan though...I was totally sucked in. Interesting that you brought up Alien, because to me, this was the Alien/Aliens of pc gaming.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I can't remember the last time a videogame didn't have some shlocky B-movie quality storyline, and in that sense I like the story in Doom 3.

I'm not as sucked into the game as you guys because I keep getting scared from things jumping out at me and then quickly save and quit. I love horror movies but give me a good horror game and I get freaked easily. :)

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I really like Doom 3 but I've noticed a few flaws. Why is every character you meet in this game either a bald white guy or the same looking asian guy? I guess in the future on mars they only hire bald white guys or asian men who look the same. I've heard a few complaints either in this forum or others on how the ai isn't that impressive on bad guys. I say thank god for that. It's hard enough sometimes with switching from your flashlight to weapon not to mention how slow it can take to fire your weapon. At times the game can feel a little too linear and repetitive after playing games like Grand Theft Auto and KOTR. I am happy that games like this in the future will look very pretty though. I found the lighting to be absolutely realistically terrifying. The cut scenes are as real as any scene in the cgi Final Fantasy movie. Hands down this game has some of the best and scariest audio bits I have ever heard in a game. I won't spoil it, but I found the ending after completing the game disappointing. I love the art of this game. I don't think i've ever seen a more terrifying version of hell. It was almost too disturbing and i'm not even religous. lol :) In conclusion this game does take certain visual and audio effects to the next level, but the game doesn't revolutionize the way we play games. For all the people out there who don't have powerful machines yet, it will still be here when you finally do get a powerful enough machine. DOn't stress over not having it. You aren't missing anything the way all the hype led you to believe this game would be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks