What's new

Doom for GBA?? (1 Viewer)

Leroy

Second Unit
I've been having trouble locating this title. Anyone spot it at any B&M's? I've checked out Best Buy, Wal-Mart and K-Mart but no dice.

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
Wrong places. Try electronic boutique.

I heard the GBA version does not have Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind the two big bosses because of memeory limitation of GBA.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I heard that it uses the same code base as the Jaguar version, which also lacked the two characters.

The game feels very different due to the controls. It's really tough to get that frenetic running/dodging/blasting on the GBA controls.

My local Best Buy just started to get a bunch of these last week....

-Dave

Leroy

Second Unit
I gave up on finding Doom (I called EB and they were out also, although I don't really care for them).
Good thing though because I picked up a copy of Ecks vs. Sever, another FPS, and it's great fun. If youcan find it, I recommend it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to know how they ported 68000 assembler & dual processor specific code to the ARM chipset.

Maybe the actual shortcut they used was recycling the Jaguar level design. The level design was slightly tweaked with fewer polygons to speed framerate.

If the latter boss levels were going to be a problem on the GBA due to sprite size and memory/performance issues, this might have fit nicely with the level shortcut.

I think the 32X version used the Jaguar levels, and they really shortcutted the character sprites...all characters always faced towards you! This affected gameplay in obvious ways.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to know how they ported 68000 assembler & dual processor specific code to the ARM chipset.
If that was sarcasm, I'm sorry but I don't see what I've done to deserve it. I had read that the GBA version was based off of the Jaguar version. If I misspoke, please correct me. Programming videogames is not my profession, so that is entirely possible.

-Dave

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, DaveF. It was a little bit of sarcasm & a little bit of curiosity into the details.

The Jaguar had a complicated multiprocessor system using custom chips. The GBA has a low speed ARM processor. They're not compatible.

It sounds like they ported the design of the Jaguar version of Doom - it was strategically cut down to fit the cart/resources they had at the time by id.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks