What's new

Doom 3 (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I just put 3DStudioMAX in there as a general reference....wasn't sure what they used.

One of my favorite quotes was from one of id's level designers and he said that map makers are going to need to learn alot about lighting a room to get it done properly, as it is now they can place lots of little lights around the room to get it to work.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I'm really excited about Doom III. I loved Doom I & II. The whole satanic theme was just freaky. I love this quote from Carmack in the IGN interview:

John Carmack: Doom III is pushing the fear factor over the raw action. As you make the worlds more and more believable, you are forced to tone down the "superhero" aspects of the game. I still think that a good game can be built around "toon time" action, but that isn't what Doom III is going to be about. The monsters are going to be much more independently fearsome, rather than just acting as moving gun turrets.
Sounds great! I love games that have nice fear inspiring atmospheres.

Aaron

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great! I love games that have nice fear inspiring atmospheres
Hmmm...i don't know. You can only be spooked so many times with darkness and shadows before it becomes predictable. I really hope Doom 3 is not going to be a kill 1 or 2 monsters in a huge nice looking room, then move on to the next room and kill 1 or 2 different nice looking monsters...etc...

One of the great things about doom 1 and 2 were the mass amounts of carnage as well as the spook factor.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Hmmm...i don't know. You can only be spooked so many times with darkness and shadows before it becomes predictable.
There's some truth to that. I suppose it comes down to each persons individuality.
Doom I/II repeatedly made me jump and shout profanities. In fact, I would have to literally turn it off after a few hours because the foreboding atmosphere would actually start to have an oppressive/depressive effect on me. Of course, playing it on a bigscreen tv, by myself, in the dark with the audio running through an HT, helped to up the ante in the whole experience.
I have a feeling that Doom III is going to top the 1st two. At least it will for me because it certainly wasn't the "horde" mentality of the 1st games but, the depressing, satanic atmosphere that started to get to me.
Oh yeah, the audio from the 1st 2 was incredible! Personally, I don't think Trent Reznor's soundtrack in Quake was better than whomever did the 1st 2 Doom games.
...who wrote that sick shit?!!? It was great! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
What is the exact filename of the updated movie (not the zip file)? I'm having problems getting it off the web, so I'm gonna try usenet...

Thanks,
Dave

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
If you want massive carnage, try Serious Sam and its sequel.
Doom3 is not going for hordes of monsters, instead it will go for fewer but scarier monsters and horror atmosphere.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
We know that, Feng. The problem is the original Doom games were scary AND featured hordes of monsters. That's what people are a /little/ (not a lot!) annoyed at - I know I was certainly hoping for a return to the days of Doom.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I tried serious sam. It just didn't do anything for me. Maybe 5 years ago it would have been cool, but not today. I think what they screwed up (for me) with sam was the horde is there, but its too hard. The weapons just don't have that cool feel that doom 1 and 2 did. And the monsters in sam just did not impress me at all. I played the demo and I was like..."Hmmm...ok...yawn...wheres that uninstall exe at..."
I loved in doom opening a door and having it literaly being filled with monsters...shooting a few BFG shots to clear out the lesser ones so I got room to work, then switching to minigun and charging in to take out the big guys. THAT is what I call fun. Now if we could only get stuff like that with the graphics of doom 3 life would be perfect :) I liked going through a HUGE battle only to have the area littered with corpses and having me have to take a breather to get ready for the next area. This also made cooperative play extremely fun. Jack up the difficulty and go at it with a friend. My roommate in college and I would spend weekends playing coop games.
I'm afraid that Doom 3 is going to be all eye candy and spookyness with not much gameplay. The initial wow factor will surely be there, but by going for horror and less carnage can they really keep the interest level up?
If only playing Doom and Doom 2 now on my PC at very low res didn't make me sick I'd load it back up and play some more.
Of course I'll buy it though...I'm a whore for Id games, but I'm not going to have my hopes up.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I was just checking out some screens on Gamespot. If those are actual in-game screens then I don't see Doom III running on computer before an upgrade.
This one for example:

That has to be a game movie, if it's not I think were in for a treat.

Travis D

Second Unit
Shit man.

If that is in-game I'll eat my underwear. NO way does that run in real-time. If it is, then I will have to pick up a seriously kick ass video card to run it then!

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
Travis D:
Yes it's real-time. No you don't need seriously kick ass video card. According to id, ATI Radeon 8500 or Geforce 4 will do OK.

MikeAlletto:
You simply can not judge Serious Sam by the demo. If you stick to the end of the full version, you will find the later battles are very intense. Especially the final boss. There is nothing like it in Doom.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Well, a GF4 and 8500 ARE kickass video cards currently, and most people will have to upgrade... but the game is more than a year off and at that point they won't be quite so top of the line.

My current card certainly isn't gonna cut it.

If only playing Doom and Doom 2 now on my PC at very low res didn't make me sick I'd load it back up and play some more
There are "mods" you can get for Doom that allow you to run in higher resolutions.

Kami

Screenwriter
More Doom3 stuff!!!
1. Doom3 was PLAYABLE at E3
Link Removed
2. Chat with id team:
Link Removed
3. Firingsquad impressions of the game:
Link Removed
and last but not least, an 11 minute gameplay video! it was recorded with a video camera, but it should be pretty good. I just tried for 20mins to get on one of the mirrors and finally got on.
Fragland has it:
http://www.fragland.net/?body=newsitem&nid=7867
And another list of mirrors (good luck):
Link Removed
My download will be done in about 8 minutes

Kami

Screenwriter
Wow the video is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!! It's crappy quality, but you can still make out how unbelievable this game is going to be!! :emoji_thumbsup:
The camera is off center in the beginning, but don't worry it fixes later.
Oh yeah, you need DivX 5.02 to play it...the original divx 5.0 won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks