DOOM 3 offically annouced for XBOX

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Trevor Harveaux, May 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

I got the Word doc, from Activision, but I dont have word here, I was able to open the file with "text edit" and retype it.... this is close:

"Santa Monica, CA May 13, 2003. id software and Activision, Inc confermed today that id softwares DOOM 3, the most antisipated game of the year, is headed to the xbox video game system."

"Built on id' softwares revolutionary new 3d graphics...blah blah....will be showing a new trailor of the PC verson at E3 beginning Weds, 14, in Activisions booth #1224 in the South Hall"

"First released in 1993, DOOM is widely recognized as the catalyst for the first-person action genre. Since its inception, the franchise has been one of the industryĆ­s best-selling PC series. A release date for DOOM 3 for Xbox is not available."

2. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

It would have surprised me if it didn't come to Xbox. The questions are...

When is the release?
    Is it Xbox exclusive?
    Will they hold the PC version to wait for the Xbox port?

3. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

Will it be Online Enabled?. I remember hearing how
    Microsoft is trying to get more games online so who
    knows maybe it might be. It would be so cool to play
    it online.

-Mike

4. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I read a rumor somewhere that it would come to Xbox sometime after PV version, with additional online modes not to be included in PC release. For what it's worth, it will have an exclusivity window on Xbox --not that a PS2 or Gamecube could run it, anyway.

5. RobMorrow

RobMorrow Extra

6. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

7. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Doom3 Xbox Impressions:

8. Jean-Michel

(post deleted for the time being)

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I would think that this may be an Xbox exclusive. Not because of an payments or deals by MS, but just that Carmack is such an system killer that only Xbox probably makes the cut (and just barely at that I'd bet.) This guy is going to make a 3.0 GHz, 512 RAM, Radeon 9800 pro PC an entry level machine for DOOM 3 later this year. He's not really into scaling back his vision to a limited hardware platform (or the scarier thought is maybe his vision is always limited by the hardware. Yikes!)

Doesn't matter, now I can save $700 on a new PC and just buy D3 for the box. Awesome!

10. James_tango

James_tango Stunt Coordinator

It'll be interesting to see how XBOX version turns out.
    No doubt, there is going to be compromises on XBOX version compared to PC version, but how bad or how close XBOX version stacks up against PC counterpart....

11. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Carmack himself said earlier in an interview that the Xbox version would retain all the visual fidelity of the PC version.

The Xbox version of Doom3 shown at their press conference during E3 blew away most of the audience.

Also, remember that the Xbox has much less overhead than a PC, and the GPU is between a Geforce3 and Geforce4 in capability. And the Xbox will only have to run it at 640x480, and it may or may not have AA/AF.

12. Dave.A.C

Dave.A.C Agent

Anandtech a review of the Geoforce FX 5900 Ultra that includes a section of benchmarks using an un-optimized piece of Doom3. To sum it up, Doom3 with all of the bells and whistles (4x AA/ 8x Aniso, 1280x1024) as is brings the new king of video cards as well as the incumbents to a sub- 60 minimum fps. Conversly, with AA/Aniso off and at a relatively low resolution of 1024x768 a Radeon 9600 can be playable (44 fps).

Now, optimize the game for a specific video card, scale back the AA/Aniso, bring the resolution way down to 480p and lock the fps at 60. I would imagine that the Xbox can handle it.

Anandtech Doom 3 with the new FX

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

From the May Wired(emphasis mine):

-Dave

14. Jean-Michel

We may have a problem here. The trailer shown at Microsoft's press conference is the same as the trailer being shown at Activision's booth. The problem is that according to Activision's press release, the trailer at their booth is the PC version, not the Xbox version. Since the trailer at the MS conference and the trailer at the Activision booth are the same, it seems highly probably that we haven't actually seen anything from the Xbox version yet and MS just showed the PC trailer as an attention-grabber and an illustration of what to expect from the Xbox version.

As for the Wired article, that probably won't happen. Microsoft acts like the Xbox version won't be out by the end of the year (they say the game will be out "before next year's E3") and I doubt id would push the PC version back to 2004 simply to get it out at the same time as the Xbox release. It's not like id needs the money anyway.

15. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Or it could be the same recording playing on two different engines.

16. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

Again... It was clearly stated in the DOOM 3 press release that we will be showing the PC version of the game for the time being.

Nothing more to say.

17. Jean-Michel