1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Doom 3 Delayed until March 2004

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by James St, Jul 24, 2003.

1. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Just watching Tech TV and they mentioned it has been pushed back to March 2004. Gamespot also now lists the release at 3/15/2004.

2. Michael St. Clair

My crystal ball sees big sales for Half-Life 2 and Halo PC this holiday season.

3. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I watched [TSS] as well..sad news.

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

something doesn't seem right with this game.

5. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

That will give me more time to save up for a new computer. Of course I may just break down and buy one in time for HL2.[​IMG]

6. James St

Hopefully this will give Nvidia and ATI time to release their next round of flagship graphics cards.

7. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I'm kind of surprised that valve has to some degree out-ided id software by only announcing a product a few months before it's (apparently) pretty much guaranteed to be finished, whereas id has been lolligagging a bit with Doom 3 it seems like. It seems in the past id would have held off on announcing anything much longer, although to be fair they still haven't set a release date, it was Activision who said that they were expecting it Q1 04... and they even go so far as to say that they haven't heard from id, that's just their guess. So who knows, really.

I'm happy, anyway. It'll give me time to wait around to build a new system which incorporates whatever they're calling the new pci standard now, and the latest p4 core or an athlon 64, whichever works out better.

8. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Is this for the xbox version, pc version, or both.???

Thanks
    R~

9. James St

While they made no mention of platform I believe they were referring to the PC version.

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I hope half-life 2 is pushed back a month or 2 also. Intel should be dropping prices in October and I need that to happen before half-life 2 comes out [​IMG] I'm also hoping we see new ati and nvidia cards before doom comes out, but I doubt we'll see new cards before half-life 2.

As far as doom release dates...there are none. Anything anyone says is a guess so I have no faith in the Gamespot release at 3/15/2004 number.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I'm not too worried about meeting the specs for these games. Carmack stated he was going for about Xbox requierments for Doom 3 and Valve has said they are making Half-Life 2 able to run on older systems for all the people happy with and still playing Counter-Strike and other Half-Life mods. I have an Athlon XP 2600 and a GF4 TI4200 128MB and 512MB DDR 2700, should be fine.

13. MikeAlletto

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

This news doesn't bother me much, I'm more interested in HL2 anyway.

15. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

No one really knows it's true release date. Also the general rumour is that if it is delayed it is because MS threw a ton of money at Id to delay it so that it can release on the Box first or at least at the same time.

Either way... we all know it will kill the XBOX version for sure, as long as you can take advantage of it.

16. MikeAlletto

17. Anthony Connor

Anthony Connor Stunt Coordinator

I agree. Id software has the time and money to do things there way. John Carmack always said that this game was going to take a long time to come out. He new it was going to take a few years.

I do not doubt for a second that id software can't pull this off.

Regards

Anthony

18. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

You may all disagree as much as you like. However, it's been a rumour from before, during, and still lives even after E3.

I never said it was "true", but to deny that the rumour exsists would be folly.

It has long been known MS covets this title. I am quite sure they did make certain offers to Id. As to if Id acted on them, no one truly knows, just as no one truly knows if it has been delayed, or it's "official" release date, or any of the actual reasons thereof.

At "this" point in time though, Id is being ... out "Id'ed by Valve right now. It shall be interesting. [​IMG]

19. Keith Frederick

Keith Frederick Stunt Coordinator

Why are people excited for this game? I mean, I understand why people are excited for Half-life 2 - Half-life 1 is still one of the best games you can play right now. Doom II however is not. Is it just the cool graphics that people are interested in? I haven't heard anything about story, gameplay, interactivity, or ANYTHING that is especially interesting. Deux Ex II on the other hand is looking very good.

20. Michael St. Clair

Keith,

You make somewhat of a good point. I enjoyed single-player Doom and Doom II for a good bit, but tired of it. No iD single player game (including Quake I, II, and III) can hold up to Half-Life. And multiplayer Quake III never captured the hearts and souls of the online gamers the way Q1 and Q2 did (at least not in my circle), and a lot of people went over to Half-Life mods and Unreal for online gaming.

If Doom III came out this year, I was going to buy it in addition to H-L 2. If I am engrossed by Half-Life 2 (and mods) by spring, I'm probably going to skip Doom III altogether.