Doom 3 confirmed for the Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Here it is folks. Confirmed, signed sealed and delivered:
    Doom 3

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    [​IMG] Lucky Xbox owners [​IMG] If i only had the money

3. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Whadda ya think Rom? Halo II and Doom III, Thief III, Deus Ex II!
    For an fps fan...DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Next year (hate waiting) is going to be Xciting!

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well Derrick,

I'll still be picking up Doom 3 on the PC nonethless (Though you know if the Xbox version is 16:9, 480p and dare I hope 720p? 1080i? I'll be picking it up as well). As for the rest of the games you listed Derrick...why choose, I'm getting them all! Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 on PC and Halo 2, well lets just say I wish had the ability to fast forward to next christmas so I can get Halo 2 ASAP.)

This is especially good news for those who maybe cant deal with upgrading thier PC's and want to experience the latest Doom.

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Mmmmm... Lovely!

Dan

6. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Yeah, this is great great news!!! Talk about a major coup for Microsoft. All the console gamers who can't/won't upgrade their PC's (like me...I can't afford all the system requirements DOOM 3 has...) have an alternative now.

I wonder if at some point ID will release a watered-down version for the PS2 and the 'Cube, though.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Isn't Deus Ex 2 (or DX2) going to be on PC, PS2, and X-Box? Just mentioning this because it's not an X-Box exclusive...

Anyhoo, I'm very excited about one of the PC world's best looking games coming to a console in all it's glory. It shows how consoles are catching up to PCs.

Since PC games have to be developed for multiple setups, does this mean the X-Box version could be tweaked beyond the PC version a little bit and possibly run better or something like that?

8. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Unless Doom3 comes out with 1080i for the Xbox, I will be only getting the PC version. I just cant play first person shooters at 640x480.

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

This is incredible news!
    Oh, I'm in gaming heaven!
    Or,I will be....
    Thanks for the news, Romier!

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'll be extremely interested to see if the XBox will be able to match the PC version by the time it comes out. By the time the XBox version comes out I bet nvidia will have released at least 2 more versions of graphics cards beyond what the xbox has. It will make for some very interesting comparison articles.

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I'm currently in the process of upgrading my computer just for Doom III. All I have left to get is a new processor, motherboard and RAM and I will be set.
    I'll probably rent the X-Box version, but I don't think it will be near as good as the PC's. Here's hoping though. [​IMG]

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The most obvious announcement ever, but it's still nice to hear. [​IMG]
    As for Deus Ex II, it might as well be called an Xbox exclusive. The PS2 version had so many changes due to system limitations that I shudder to think of what the even higher spec Deus Ex II will look like.
    -Dave

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Another reason for me to get an Xbox....I almost can't hold out any longer!

15. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I seriously doubt the XBox version will support HD resolutions, because with the outdated graphics chip (comared to what will be available for the PC by then), the only way to maintain the "full graphics fidelity" would be to keep the resolution at 480p. Still, that will look pretty damn sweet. I think I would rather play it at 480p on a 55" widescreen HDTV and kick-ass 5.1 surround, rather than at 1024x768 or higher on my 19" monitor without the 5.1 sound. I'll probably skip the PC version and wait for the XBox version.

16. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Intresting argument Jeff. I sorta agree with you to some extent though. It's amazing how much good sound can enhance a game, and I have a feeling Doom 3 is really going to take advantage of this.
    Still, I'll end up getting the pc version first. Because even though Halo showed a consolse fps can get the controls right, it still can't touch a mouse/keyboard combo, IMHO. And number two.....I'm weak!![​IMG] There is no way I could hold off until the Xbox version got here.

17. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

18. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I was in Carmacks keynote. The Xbox is the base machine that Doom III will run on withthe graphics quality id wants. So even in the PC world you can expect to need atleast a 733Mhz+ CPU and a GeFORCE3 graphics card. Also the E3 demo is on display here and Robert Duffy told me that it clocks in at 1.6GB of data, but that is with uncompressed textures and the engine is unoptimized.

19. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Yeah, that machine will be fine for smooth frame rates in 640x480. My goal is to have my machine up to snuff to run Doom3 at 1024x768 or 1280x960 in 32bit with every single detail level maxed out at 60fps. [​IMG] Right now I have a AthlonXP 1800+, 768MB DDR RAM and a GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB but I don't think even this will be sufficient for what I want. Oh well, I still got over a year to upgrade, right? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I figure my machine will at least run Unreal Tournament 2003 at nice frame rates to hold me off til then...and I don't have any current games that won't run at 1600x1200 smoothly. Damn Doom3 is gonna be a beast...can't wait.

20. Kami

Kami Screenwriter