What's new

Doogie Howser M.D. Season 1 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's it. Not "possible", that's exactly it. Anchor Bay sent that around yesterday, and I posted it this morning but not before modifying it a bit so you can see the borders. I hate covers with white edges; they don't show up well on white backgrounds on the Link Removed :D

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Getting Close to the release date now!! Really Looking forward to seeing this again.

On Denise Richard's appearance in the show, she definately did appear in 1 episode playing the date of Doogie. I remember this being discussed in a interview when starship troopers came out. Neil did not recognize her when it was brought up that she was his date on a episode of doogie. So i guess she apparently looked alot different back then.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Anyone reviewing this or seen any reviews around ? only a week to go before street date!! I think my copy is shipping today as i was charged earlier in the day.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've been going through the set, and loving it! The quality is decent, but I haven't seen the extras yet. I've always remembered the show as being slightly cheesy, but it's not at all.

Minor complaint - no chapters in the episodes.

Gord

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I remember watching this show and I will be getting this dvd not on the first day it come out but I will be gettting it soon...:D

Helie

Grip
If you Pre-order do you get it sent before the released date?

Just ordered it last night from playusa.com(couldn't resist any longer!!!) and it's status is now 'packing'!!!! Couldn't understand why they had them in stock when not released til Tuesday!!!

Not that I'm complaning....I'm so excited about seeing this show again!!!! Used to watch it when I was 10 on my black and white tv!:D

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Gord: I just read your review. Nice Job! Glad to hear the video seems to be solid. I was wondering what it would be like with 7 episodes per disc.

I always remembered the show as being smartly written. I bet i will enjoy it even more now aswell. I try to tell friends/family it's not just a kids show and they should get it. But the response is DOOGIE HOWSER ? followed by mostly laughing. Oh well their loss! Hopefully my set will arrive today!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

7 episodes of a 30 min show is just fine. The first disc contains 2:22:53 of material, and no bonus features to take up space. Hey, I should start including the time of each disc in the reviews as well.

Gord

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I received my set yesterday and watched the first disc. The show is played serious for the most part and it works very well. No Cornball Kids Stuff Here that's for sure! I hope people will give this show a chance on DVD, if they do they are in for one heck of a treat.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I'll wait until I'll go back home for spring break and buy it than because I remember this show and I hope I can buy this and add this to my huge collection of tv box sets.

Helie

Grip
Yay my set arrived today!!!!!Have watched the first 7 episodes already!!! It's just as kool as I remember!!!(I was 10 when I first saw it!). Hehe I remember having a poster of Neil Patrick Harris on my door..he was right next to Michael J Fox!

I honestly thought this show would never make it to Dvd...now we just have to wait for season 2!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Gord, you mentioned that the quality is decent. I watched a couple of episodes last night, the Pilot and the episode with Nana Visitor (pre-DS9 days) on the first disc. The show looks like I'm watching it through a screen door, not unlike the "All in the Family" DVD sets. The picture actually looks like it's on a canvas and I can see the texture of the canvas through the picture (except that the canvas texture is ON TOP of the video).

I was VERY DISAPPOINTED with the image quality, and will certainly think twice before I pick up any further Anchor Bay TV on DVD.

Could you please address my image quality issues?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I watched the whole set over the weekend!I was very happy with image quality. A couple episodes here n there were shaky at times, but overall i can't complain. Bring On Season 2!!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Yes, it's there in the earlier episodes, and a bit less in the later ones. It's a problem, but I thought the video looked good compared to the Cannell stuff that's been coming out. I said it's decent, which is less than good, great and excellent.

Gord

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I picked this set up yesterday at Target and watched the pilot. I have not seen this show since it originally aired (I don't remember it ever being syndicated in my area), and I enjoyed it. Hearing the theme song brought back some memories. And I enjoyed the menus, with the aforementioned theme and press clippings from the show's open in the background. Nice touch.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Gord, could you tell me what causes those kinds of image problems as stated above? Is it a source problem? Is it poor DVD encoding? It is just so distracting to me, I don't know how much of this show I'm going to even be able to watch, and I really like this show. It's just hard for me to believe that the power that be watched this and said, "Yeah, that's great! Let's get this on the shelves."

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
From what I've seen so far (all of disc 1 and most of disc 2), the image does get a bit soft at times and there is a noticeable lack of detail in the blacks. That said, who cares? This is 80's TV, after all. Personally, I am absolutely thrilled to have Doogie Howser on DVD! Whatever technical shortcomings this set might have are more than made up for by the sheer enjoyment the content provides. If you are even MILDLY interested in this show, you owe it to yourself to check it out. As always, YMMV, but I give it two big :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Wow...I am so happy I got this set. I thought it would never come out. I remember watching this when it first aired in the basement of my parents house.

Now, if we could just get The Wonder Years on DVD...

Bring on season 2!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I got this set in the mail yesterday. I also haven't seen this show since it first aired so was a little worried about how it would hold up for me...

I am so happy I got this set! I forgot how good the show was... I am really enjoying it... I started it last night and couldn't stop! I ended up watching all of disc 1! I can't wait to check out the rest of the set and hope they continue to release the rest of the seasons! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks