Doobie Brothers DVD-A Reviews?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jagan Seshadri, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Has anyone listened to the "The Captain and Me" DVD-A? Any comments on its quality?

-JNS

2. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i've only listened to the stereo track so far and it's pretty good imho

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Someone whose opinion I respect greatly said on Audio Asylum that the Doobie Brothers DVD-Audio disc is a winner. Go to the Hi-Rez Highway on www.audioasylum.com and search for a post by 'MT'.

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Keith,
    You are too kind. :b
    Yes, I am MT from www.audioasylum.com that posted a review on "The Captain and Me". Since my initial review I have found myself listening to this DVD-A more than I expected, it is that good. I am probably dating myself here, but I haven't really listened to the Doobie Bros. (other than what I heard on the radio) since the mid 1970's. I have "Toluse Street", "The Captain and Me" and "What Were Once Vices..." on vinyl, and was a big fan back in the 70's. The funny thing about hi-rez (both DVD-A and SACD) it is putting that little bug in my ear to buy music I wouldn't think twice about buying on regular CD. This Doobie Bros. DVD-A was one of them.
    And I am glad I bought it. It brought back some good memories, and it sounds better than I would have expected. I would honestly say that "The Captain and Me" ranks up there as one of the better sounding DVD-Audio discs released by Warners. If you have any interest in this title, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I give credit where credit is due. I'll have to pick up the Doobie Brothers disc.

By the way, have you picked up the Herbie Hancock Head Hunters multi-channel SACD yet? I've seen it at two Circuit City stores for $19.99, which is their price for stereo SACDs. Anyway, the current issue of Sound & Vision gave the multi-channel mix a good review. I've listened to the stereo SACD a bit thus far and am impressed with it.

6. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Keith,
    Yes I already had the MCH "HeadHunters", got it a Circuit City about 2 months ago - hence the reason I had 2 copies, thank god I was able to unload one. [​IMG]
    I mean who needs two copies of the same disc. [​IMG]
    The MCH mix on "Headhunters" is very interesting and good. It is fairly aggressive, in that alot of things are pushed to the rear speakers. And the sound quality, well it is SACD, and a good one at that.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I didn't realize that the multi-channel version of Head Hunters came out a couple of months ago. I just saw in stores for the first time this past weekend. Interesting.

This may be ridiculous, but I am keeping my stereo-only copies of Miles Davis Kind of Blue and Billy Joel The Stranger. I have them in my living room with the second system. If I get the multi-channel version of Head Hunters someday, I'll probably keep the stereo copy too.

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Keith,

I understand where you are coming from. I used to keep everything I purchased, even if it meant having many duplicate copies of certain albums, CDs, etc.

I compared the stereo mixes on the Kind Of Blue and Headhunters to the stereo mixes on the MCH SACDs and I couldn't hear a difference. So I really didn't need duplicates. The Kind of Blue (which I knew you had duplicate copies of) I traded in for credit at Compact Disc World. But I would really like to make people who appreciate music, SACDs, etc. happy - so I was generous with the stereo version of "Headhunters", etc.

If I get the MCH version of "Time Out", I will probably trade that in to Compact Disc World for credit also.

I just have way too many "things", like DVDs (over 400), CDs (over 2500), SACDs (74), DVD-Audio (40) - not to mention laserdiscs and VHS tapes. My wife indulges me, but can't understand my obsessions. She sees all the DVDs and just shakes her head. She is the kind of person who really only likes to watch a movie once - and can't understand why we just can't rent the DVDs we want to watch. As far as music is concerned she is into it just as much as I am, but she can listen to a $99 boom box and be happy. The thing we most banter about is the fact that she will take CDs to work or put them in her car, but she doesn't treat them with the same care as I do. When she puts them back in the rack at home, they generally have fingerprints all over them, and sometimes very minor scratches. We have 3 versions of Pink Floyd "DSOM" - one of my wifes favorite albums - and guess which one she always USE TO take to work - YOU GUESSED IT - The Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc 1 version. Needless to say she put a superficial blemish (barely visible, but definitey there - scratch). When I told her the value of the disc, she said - SELL IT - we have 2 other copies of the album anyway.

Needless to say, we still have the Ultradisc DOSM, and she never touches that one anymore.

Wow, sorry - my little rant was way off topic.

Anyway.....

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, Michael. I keep everything too. I have bought many remastered CDs over the years and have always kept the original versions. I keep many older versions of music for sentimental reasons. As an example, I purchased the remastered CD of Joe Satriani Surfing with the Alien last year, however, I kept my original Relativity copy. I remember the exact day I bought that CD as a freshman at Penn State in 1988. The same goes for my original CD of Journey Greatest Hits, which I also bought in 1988 as a freshman. I bought the remastered CD of that album last year too, but I won't part with the original copy. The stereo SACD of Kind of Blue is significant to me as well, as it was in the first batch of SACDs I ordered online from Tower Records. I bought that batch in October 2000 while I was waiting for my '777ES to arrive from Oade Bros. I still remember listening to Kind of Blue on SACD back then and being wowed by the format. So, the stereo copy won't leave me.

By the way, my girlfriend sounds much like your wife. With all the rare CDs, high-rez music, and higher-end gear I have, she is perfectly happy listening to any old CD in a boombox. She is a bit uncomfortable operating my CD and SACD players, so I am thinking of buying an inexpensive CD player for her to use when I am not around. It will make her more comfortable, so I figure, what the heck. I am looking at the Sony CDP-XE370 single-disc player for $140 or so.

10. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I don't have SACD yet but I am thinking about it. If you are saying that some titles were released in Stereo only and then later re-released in multi-channel formats then I have some questions:

Have the newer multi-channel versions taken the place of the previous version, are they both available, or is there more than one mix on the disc?

Is the type of mix clearly marked on the package?

Does the format support more than one mix on the same disc like DVD Audio?

What is the most common format for SACD; multichannel, stereo, or both on the same disc?

P.S. Did I just change the subject? :b

11. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Sweet Jesus! I thought I had a lot (1600). What genre do you have most of? Do you actually listen to all of them or is it more of a collection thing? I hardly get to listen to all of mine and you have 900! more than I do.
    Keith,
    Michael collects CD's and you collect CD players [​IMG] You guys are a great match. [​IMG]

12. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Over 5000 CDs, over 3000 LPs, over 1500 45s, over 500 DVDs, over 300 LDs, over 1000 cassettes (almost none pre-recorded), 20 DVD-As, 1 CED disc(Jethro Tull-Slipstream), & 1 8-track(Beatles At Hollywood Bowl-in-store promo)!!
    And you guys think YOU are sick!!![​IMG]