What's new

Don'y buy Denon (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
I have had problem after problem with Denon. I have about $3,000 in speakers which were used for about 8 months (purchased everything brand new), I took my Denon AVR-1910 receiver into a "Certified Denon Dealer" which everything they had in there shop was extremely old and the computers they were using to test the receivers were ones that I used when I was in elementary, the old Apple computers. After taking my receiver into there shop 4 different times they had a new excuse every time for what was wrong with the unit or how "it was my fault" it wasn't working, when I knew for a fact that I had everything setup correctly.
So I got fed up with them and sent the receiver off to Denon, which was in pristine condition, not a single scratch on the entire unit! Three and a half weeks later they sent me back the unit with the receipt saying that they replaced an HDMI Board and tested everything and it worked like it should again. So I unpackaged the receiver and noticed some scratches on the back which I didn't think it was to big of a deal, then I started looking at the face of the unit and the knobs have lots of wear on them, one being really scratched up, and then I noticed scratches on the top of the face, and some even on the glass display peice, and to top it off there was a dent on the right side of the unit! I called up Denon and sat on the phone for 20 minutes, finally getting a hold of them, they told me it was the unit that I sent into them. Luckily I got pictures of the unit before I sent it off, so I can e-mail them pictures of before and after. I won't be surprised if they "didn't get my e-mail".
In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend ANYONE to buy Denon, I know that after this extremely disappointing exhausting waste of time for over 6 months now of problem after problem with Denon, I am fed up with them and gave them plenty of times to make things right and they just can't get things right.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That's a damn shame. Are you sure it's actually your receiver they sent back? Did you check the serial # ? Maybe they sent back a refurb.

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
I don't know what the serial was on my other unit, but when Denon asked for the serial, I read them the one on the back of the unit that they sent back and they said it was the same unit that I sent in. I also remember that a couple days before I sent it off to Denon, my nephews show brushed against the front of the unit putting a small smudge on the front of the face plate, and I remembered about that smudge and it's not on the faceplate of this unit, so I know for a fact that either it isn't the same unit or that it isn't the original parts even though Denon claims it is. I am extremely disappointed in Denon, never dealt with anyone or company that has givin me this much of a hassle especially when the unit is still under warranty.

BBFORD

Auditioning
Real Name
andrew1
Just bought the Denon AVR-3311CI. Wasnt the best looking out of the ones I liked, but I'm giving it a try. Hope I have better luck. Thanks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I bought the Denon 3311CI as well late last year.

Denon has always been a highly rated receiver.

The only problems I know of concerning this particular

model is faulty network boards. There are many reports

of the network cards failing.

So far, I have had zero problems with my Denon receiver,

then again, I am not using it that much to stream music or

take advantage of airplay.

I think other than the defect noted above that some may

experience, this is an outstanding receiver for the price.

davepr

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I bought the Denon 3311CI as well late last year.

Denon has always been a highly rated receiver.

The only problems I know of concerning this particular

model is faulty network boards. There are many reports

of the network cards failing.

So far, I have had zero problems with my Denon receiver,

then again, I am not using it that much to stream music or

take advantage of airplay.

I think other than the defect noted above that some may

experience, this is an outstanding receiver for the price.

I think when you get at this pricing level, all the major brands, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc...., build quality receivers. I am also one of those that believe that human ears can not tell the difference between amplifiers running at the same volume and within their specifications. The choice comes down to which features/price are the most important to the buyer. Anecdotal evidence of a problem with given unit does not mean that there is a systemic quality problem. The other thing to consider is that avrs are now computers wrapped around a number of amps with all the software/firmware/microcode/hardware complexities combined with rapid development cycles. Given all that I think we get an awful lot for our money.

I had what I thought was a problem with the network card in my recently purchased Onkyo TX-NR1008. After vendor replaced the unit, it turned out to be that my RJ45 wall jack was wired incorrectly.

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
Update - -

I got my receiver back today and they said that they were going to "fix the damaged unit" since I told them that the unit they sent back was used. about a week later I got a call from Denon from a representative and he told me he was in the Texas facility and had receiver to unit and was going to take care of the problem. A week later I called them to get a status update and the representative I talked to said she didn't know why they would tell me it was in the Texas facility because it was in the NJ facility being fixed and would be shipped out that same week. After they sent me back the unit I got it back and it was the same exact one that I had sent back, all they did was fix the dent on the metal piece which surround 90% of the unit and it still has a small bend in it but on the opposite corner now and it doesn't sit flush with the faceplate which isn't a big deal, but when you send in a mint condition unit, you should expect to receive it back in the same condition, I cannot believe what garbage there customer service is and same goes with there repair department.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tyson it's a bit hard to follow your posts but from what I Can tell in your last one you got the unit back again? Did you resend it back to denon after you told them it was not the original unit? I have been using denon for over ten years now and on my third unit. Had the last one for over four years now and no troubles at all and would buy denon again. What I would do in your spot is refuse to give in tell them this is not the unit you bought and you will except nothing less then either your original back, fixed or a brand new replacement piece, not a refurb. Didn't see it mentioned nut is this piece still under warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks