Dont you think Bang&Olufson deserves the same fate as Bose?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ken thompson, Mar 19, 2002.

1. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Aren't they the same overpriced mediocrity? Or am I wrong on this one?

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I don't think they claim to be the best sound quality-wise, just the best looking. Plus, they are so much higher priced, they are not targeting the same crowd. And I've heard from a friend of mine whose abilities to judge sound I trust (after all, he uses B&W Nautilus for any serious listening) that B & O doesn't sound all that bad (relatively speaking) and he even uses their CD player as an office mini-system (I suspect that's the extent of what he thinks B & O is good for). I doubt he would consider Bose speakers fit to be used for playing computer games, let alone listening to music [​IMG]

3. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

Expensive yes, cool yes. Sound good to pretty good. Sound wise you can do a lot better for the price, but they are very well engineered. Their whole marketing target is not audiophiles, but those with a lot of money who want convenience and appearance.

4. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

5. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Bose tries to say how good they are and how wonderful these mini-junks sounds.

B&O, for them, style and design comes first, nothing about sound quality, either boasting about how good or bad they sound.

6. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

I think what is different about B&O is that they do not try to confuse customers with alot of thinly veiled terms about how their product functions.

B&O is as much about form and function as it is about performance.

If anything I think that Bose longs to be as respected as B&O is.

7. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

You could think of B&O as a rich person's Bose. Sure Bose makes lots of claims, but at the end of the day they are what J6P aspires to own.

If you make a ton of money, why would you buy Bose, sure they are "the best" but they aren't the most expensive. That is where B&O comes in. They offer style, and a lot of pricetag.

8. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    I don't have much experience with either Bose or B&O, but style wise I think B&O wins hands down. Infact, I think Bose systems don't even look that great, never mind sound great (but that's a different matter).

So, what would you recommend to someone who wants both stylish looks & great sound? Something that comes to my mind is Nakamichi (sp?). Those look pretty wicked, but how do they rate in the sound department??? They also tend to be some of the priciest units out there (and I know this is the speaker forum, but I'm talking about all their components). Any thoughts?

- Mike

9. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

Absolutly Not. Bang & Olufsen in my opinion is a stylish company that decides to target a niche market that others dont. Have I had experience with their products? I enjoy some of their systems( they are more eye pleasing then a component cd system) and I dont think because they made some products that are more eye pleasing then ear pleasing deserves them to be chastised and shunned.
    Take a look through their history book, at one of their dealers. Now, there are some innovative products

10. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

just out of curiosity, i checked out their website... what's the big deal w/them? Their specs aren't all that impressive. I have no idea what they cost, but based upon what you all have said, I'm guessing they're in the same league pricewise as Martin Logans, and i think i'd go for the ML's if i had that kind of money to burn (Which i don't and won't so long as i remain a college student)

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a turntable from them that I bought in the late 70s that sounds good(for turntables that is) and works like a charm.

Most people get upset at Bose because they dont try and accurately reproduce music....they try and give people what they think is good

B & o is sort of like cadillac...expensive stuff for old people

Bose is basically garbage that costs many times what it should cost

A friend of mine bought 4 901s a while ago and asked me how they sounded.

They soulded like total crap but I just nodded because i knew they cost a ton of money and I could not bear to tell him

12. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

13. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I've commented on the same thing on a BOSE bashing thread. It's not that I think BOSE is the "lesser of 2 evils", but that B&O is much farther off the $$$ to sound quality ratio than BOSE. However, I do concede that the majority of consumers won't seriously consider B&O as it's too outrageously priced. I believe B&O knows that they don't offer the best sounding products for the price so their stores are always located in high end shopping areas and are targeted toward people with nice residences and are concerned with style and decorating over sound rooms..

ONe thing that I know: I've heard some people mix and match sub/sat systems and they didn't integrate nearly as well as BOSE or B&O. More often than not, crossover and sub placement, and even sub compatibility with the satelites have been major factors in the failure of some to set up their own "better value" hidden HT systems. I can understand the market for BOSE and what it provides in terms of overall packaging, but I think it would earn HT enthusiast's grudging respect if the price were 50-65% cheaper....

Elbert

14. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

then a gain..when is the last time you saw a B&O infomercial. thats the big difference right there...

15. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

While I certainly can't disagree that B&O IS nearly always too expensive, (IMO) in many cases it did/does represent a better investment than Bose. First, IMO, there is no comparison at all in the style department. B&O offers some of the best (if not THE best) looking audio and video components available. In recent years, many manufacturers have clearly copied their designs from B&O. Second, seldom (if ever) has Bose been on the cutting edge of truly improving the state of the art. And while B&O may not have always hit technology home runs, at least they have been swinging...

A couple of examples:

Any purchaser of a good quality cassette deck over the last several years bought a unit that most likely had Dolby HX Pro on it. While Dolby Labs invented HX, it was B&O that perfected the approach and created the "Pro" circuit change. And to Dolby's credit, they promoted HX Pro over their own technology (regular HX.) HX Pro made cassette high frequency headroom demonstrably better.

B&O powered (active) speakers. Just ask any users who run active speakers. There is a clarity and presence that many speakers don't have. (Note I'm not trying to compare B&O's 4" woofer based active systems against much larger systems. But when compared against similar sized speaker setups, the B&O's are easily better. And yes, they are WAY too expensive. But God they look good!) And while B&O's active versions may not hold up against the "other" best systems out there, it's difficult to deny that active systems are an advanced approach to sound reproduction.

(Of course, I have to at least mention B&O's linear tracking LP turntables. One of the few designs that consistantly worked. Not to mention that they sounded great!)

So, I guess my bottom line is that while B&O is far from the best sound per dollar value out there, they (IMO) don't belong on the same list as Bose.

16. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

up here in new york i have never seen anything advertised about Bose on t.v. or any place else for that matter. although we do have a Bose store in Niagara Falls. If they do market a lot i doubt it hits the average consumer here in N.Y maybe they advertise in high end magazines.

17. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

i think the quote that "god, they do look good" says it all. I am a big fan of b and o, although i would probably never buy them. Their first priority is to look good. There are many designer households out there where people wnat everything to look great. Most audio gear does not fit into that category (if you asked most people that is, i think my fr3s look great). b and o has cornered that market. They, unlike bose, do not pretend to be something they're not. I have listened to several of their products and they do sound pretty good, and look great. I think they are for people who love sound, but quality simply comes in a close second.

all of this b and o talk has made me want to go into newbury street and listen to them this weekend.

18. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

I just recieved a catalog from Bose that I requested. I am still looking for a shred of truth in it. It is clear that Bose is marketing to the ignorant.

Travis

19. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

I think B&O are great because they appeal to two senses instead of just one. Instead of just pleasing the ear, they spend considerable reasourses making sure the system looks great too. Some people just want to listen to music on a great looking system.

20. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

there's a b&o at my local mall...i walk in there and i feel like i'm the poorest man on earth, their prices are outrageous but i love the products...their systems sound pretty good but it'd probably be more reasonable if they were 50%....i wonder if the sales persons work on commission because i never see anybody buy anything from there...