don't you just hate it when...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Jun 10, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

You post a comment to a thread and then someone posts after you do almost the exact same thing. Then they get asked questions about what you posted initially...

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You mean two people answering a post at almost the same time?

Depending on which post stands out more, I don't see where anyone is getting any "credit." Maybe I'm not following you.

3. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Yeah, I was just about to post this same thing[​IMG]
    Happens to me all the time. Do you ever then edit your post to ask something different?

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I hate it when I post a question and it doesn't get any answers or make a thread and it doesn't get many posts or any posts at all.

6. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Yeah, kinda. What about when you make a post that you think is well thought out, insightful, very interesting and everyone seems to just ignore everything you've said. I feel that way a lot. It's kinda like a wanting for acceptance or approval.

I now post for only a few reasons:
    1)To pose a question I have not seen addressed elsewhere.
    2)To answer a question I'm pretty sure I know the answer to.
    3)Just to express my feelings or opinions about the topic. I try not to post just to "hear" myself talking, but sometimes it probably comes off looking that way.

I still like to have others say "I agree with Howard about...." but that is no longer necessary. I don't have to have my comments validated by others in order to feel my input is valuable.

7. Jack Briggs

Fellas, don't take it personally. I was a little daunted in my first couple of weeks here too. Post as you see fit in the threads that interest you. After a while, people will come to recognize your name and posting style. It doesn't happen overnight, but over the long haul. Eventually, you make friends, and you can count on them checking out your posts. Don't post with the sole expectation of building a big thread, but, as you have stated above, with the idea of providing information or obtaining information. It will all fall into place.

8. Rain

Rain Producer

9. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Amen, Rain.
    Here's my photo....a little green around the gills
    [​IMG]

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Here's a different twist: What about when you make a post that you think is well thought out, insightful, very interesting and everyone seems to just ignore everything you've said? I feel that way a lot. It's kinda like a wanting for acceptance or approval. Does this ever happen to anybody?
    [​IMG]
    KIDDING! I'm kidding! Sorry, Howard. I don't mean to pick on you because, actually, I know what you mean. I don't post that frequently, but sometimes I really put my heart (and sometimes a lot of research) into it. I do it to contribute, but there's a small, selfish part of me that's gratified when someone expresses appreciation. And why not? The people who hang out here are among the smartest people I know. One should be proud to occasionally bend the collective ear of this intellectual bunch.
    Oh, and it also helps if you have a cool pic in your signature! [​IMG]

11. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Here's one: What about when you a post a question that you think is is good one, insightful, very interesting and everyone seems to just not know the answer to [​IMG].
    Actually, I'm being serious although I did paraphrase Howard a bit.
    It's like you have an urgent questions that needs an answer but no one seems to be there to help you. Sometimes, I guess I expect this place to have all the answers and set myself up for disappointments [​IMG].
    Also, when people quote you. I don't know, it just makes you a bit more nervous of what you say, how you word it, ect. Know what I mean?

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Clever sig photo????
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

13. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

You know what I hate?
    You post a comment to a thread and then 1 day 3 hours and 8 minutes later someone posts almost the exact same thing. They dont even read the whole thread! What losers. [​IMG]

14. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

You know what I hate? It's when you post an insightful answer to someone's reply, and no one responds until someone other than you posts the exact same thing! [​IMG]
    Seriously, though. I've been lurking here for years and posting since last October, and maybe twice I've had really meaningful responses. You either:
    1) hit the jackpot by posting something that strikes a chord with someone at the right time,
    2) use shock value or learn how to use sound bites (people like to skim posts, so get their attention)
    3) an interesting or
    artsy photo of yourself helps too. [​IMG]
    Joseph

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    You know what I hate? When I post a coherent, meaningful, insightful, interesting, clever answer to someones post, and they respond with "Oh dear, Steve's been at the bottle again", or, "Steve you just made my ignore list, congrats!" or the now classic "in before the lock!".[​IMG]

16. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    In before the lock! [​IMG]

17. Jack Briggs

What does "in before the lock" mean?

18. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Jack, it means that someone loves a particular thread so much, they want to be locked in when said thread gets closed forever.

I too fail to see the point in coming into a doomed thread, just to make an appearance.

19. Jack Briggs

I shoulda put a smiley face on my previous post, Rick. I'm kinda aware of the phrase! We all are. [​IMG]

20. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I hate it when I have a question or trivia nugget that I think no-one else would know, but then I find out that everyone besides me knows it. Damn, why did everyone have to go and get so smart in the last 50 years?
    Bruce