1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't you hate when people in the house ask you to turn down the volume?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Aug 7, 2002.

1. KeithG

KeithG Auditioning

As others have mentioned here, you really should respect the others around you. If your mom, your brother and your dad are all telling you to turn it down then that should tell you something. The same thing goes for all of those people with the Hondas and the big woofers, as was mentioned. They also think it’s totally reasonable that they can drive through the neighborhood shaking everyone’s windows. I HATE that! But, it’s their system that they paid a lot of money for it so why shouldn’t they be able to play it loud? It sounds good like that, etc, etc. Does that sound kind of familiar? If I ever lose it and go on a rampage, it’s gonna be that crowd I go after first. I’m not saying that I am going to lose it (need to clarify these things nowadays), but if I did! [​IMG]
    I like loud movies too but I am always conscious of whether or not my neighbors might be able to hear it, probably too conscious of it. I already played JP3 at reference level and went outside to see how loud it sounded but I still always get paranoid they can hear it. I hate when people disturb my peace so the last thing I want to do it disturb other’s peace.
    About ‘Lord of the Rings’, that movie was not only LOUD, it was disproportionately loud. I ended up using “late night” mode (dynamic compression) for the first time. That was the only way I could hear the dialogue clearly without being blown out of my chair by the effects. If it’s so loud that your not sure you would be able to hear a police officer pounding on your door with his baton, it’s probably too loud. I couldn’t achieve that with LOTR and still hear the dialogue clearly.

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I want airplanes flying through the house. Not paper airplanes. [​IMG]

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

4. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

When I was younger, my parents would make me turn my audio system down.

After I got married and had teenage kids, my wife and kids would make me turn my audio system down.

Now my kids have married and left and my Dad is living with me. He can hardly hear and complains that it's too loud...Unless it's something he wants to watch (like Tora! Tora! Tora!)....

The point is, if you have a decent system (that doesn't distort and "clip") and it's something everyone wants to hear, no one will ask you to turn it down.

Did you ever go to the Movie Theater? Ever ask them to turn it down? No one would expect that because everyone is there to watch a movie. If everyone in the house is watching and/or listening, no one asks you to turn it down.

5. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

The Office Space quote wasn't lost on me either. "Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!"

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I assembled my HT for MAXIMUM enjoyment and that means playing it VERY loud when watching action movies. No one usually complains because they know it won't get turned down.
    My motto: If you don't like it then leave the room, er the house, er the block!!! Nuff said [​IMG]
    9 Klipsch Legends & a dual Tempest sonosub ALWAYS set on kill......

7. KeithG

KeithG Auditioning

I assembled mine for maximum enjoyment also, but not at the expense of others. I imagine your joking about the "leave the block" part but there are a lot of people that really think like that. I find it totally amazing myself. Of course, leave the room or leave the house is totally acceptable if it's your house.

I live in pretty close proximity to my neighbors so I have to consider whether or not it might bother them. I have never gotten a complaint and I enjoy my HT very much so I think I found the right balance.

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

LaMarcus
    Mike.......YOU DA MAN!! OH and I do have 2 15" subs in the trunk. I turn it down when I hit my block. But on the street......feel me ROAR!!!

9. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I almosted asked the theater if they can turn it down on Pearl Harbor. It was so loud, it was hard to localize some of the sounds. It almost distorted too. It was WAY too loud and unnatural.

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I would have to say "grow up"! The way I see it at 19 your living in your parents house on borrowed time. The main reason people (I went through this also 20 years back) have booming car systems is so they can play it loud and not have to be told to turn it down. It's their own little piece of audio bliss.

And Keven P the reason your motherinlaw turns the vol down is because of the horrible music your playing, it has nothing to do with how loud it is.

Now that I'm all grown up, I understand these things now!

Wes

11. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

LaMarcus
    Wes,..you funny[​IMG]

12. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Ken, someday many years from now you'll be sitting in your dedicated HT that has a massive subwoofer that could literally knock the pictures off the wall (if there were pictures hanging in your HT) and your mom will be gone and you'll wish she was still around so you could invite her over and play a movie way too loud until she told you to turn it down (in your own house) just like she did when you were 19. Enjoy her now man [​IMG]
    Mitch
    Oh yeah... my wife tells me to turn it down now... it's just not the same...

13. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

I live in a 10,000 ft commercial building on it's own property with block walls AND block roof behing the sheetrock in my theater room. I'm single and I can GO Crazy any time I please.
    Guys come by so they can watch and Crank It Up. Their wives/girlfriends tell them to `Turn That S$&t down at their place, so I get calls.
    If I ever have to move to a normal place, I'll go nuts.

E

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

LaMarcus
    Mitch funny you should say that. My mom came over me house this past weekend to watch LOTR, she kept saying "Marcus does it have to be that loud?". Got flash backs of the teenage years.
    But along with that, when the black birds in the lord of the rings do that fly by, she jumped as it seemed that the birds came from behind her at the same time. That was worth the hassle, that was just the coolest thing. [​IMG]

15. Doug Brewster

A good rule of thumb:
    It should be loud enough that conversations cannot be conducted, but not so that your ears actually bleed.

Truthfully, I used the illustration about movie theaters and people there never asking the volume to be turned down. Here's another one: If you were at a live performance (play, piano recital, etc.) and you were conversing at a normal level, you would be asked to be quiet or leave. At home, when people are watching a performance (movie, music, etc.) those who want to talk should leave the room. It is ever bit as intrusive as turning up the volume. Actually, most people don't complain about the volume unless there is alot of distortion or they want to talk. If everyone is watching a movie, conversation is rude. If everyone is talking, watching a movie is rude.

Having said that, I'll say this:
    Use the best, most distortion-free equipment you can afford, pick an appropriate time, ask those who don't want to enjoy the performance to leave, then set the volume at a level where you can enjoy the audio, visual, and kinetic effects intended by the performers. Feeling the effects is part of the experience and can't occur at low volume. This may a goof place to apply the rule of thumb above.

16. Doug Brewster

I'd change that from a goof place to GOOD place, but do whatever you want.