Don't you hate when people in the house ask you to turn down the volume?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

This happens all the time. Tora Tora Tora was on FMC a few weeks ago. Yeah, I watched it pretty loud. Mom's over at the computer, "Turn that down". I'm like, "NO!". Some movies are meant to be played at a high level. I only have a Pro Logic sound systems. It ain't too bad. I did rent Pearl Harbor on DVD. Nobody asked me to turn down the volume, so I kept clicking it up a notch once and a while. My passive bass reflector was dancing all over the place during the battles. It was pretty cool. Almost saw the airplanes flying in the middle of the living room. It sounded so real, even on a Pro Logic surround system. I could almost see the air planes flying from the back of the living room to the front. Anyway. During movies I watch, some people, like Mom, or my brother, tell me to turn it down. Then my dad's like, "KC? Turn it down." I'm like, "Well, Jesus Chr.." I love playing movies at a reasonable level that makes it more lifelike. But I don't like it when people ask me to turn it down. When I turn it down, it's harder to hear. I turn it up enough so I can hear the quieter parts like dialog. But when the action starts hitting with all the loud booms and the music and stuff, don't ask me to turn it down, because I won't. Just have to turn it back up again when the dialog comes back. I noticed with Power DVD, since I use my computer and Geforce TV OUT as a DVD player anyway, that the volume sort of adjusts itself. So I can turn it up to a good level and not have to touch the volume again except to turn it up just a bit once and a while.

2. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

No, No man. Shit no man, I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that man.

3. Ken Garrison

Saying what?

4. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

"Turn it down" I'd guess.

Personally I hate people who have to have things loud. It's anti-social and quite often neglects that fact that people can have bad hearing. Fair enough if no one's in and it's a reasonable hour for the neighbours but I'm just not a fan. Are you aware that blokes traditionally have worse hearing than women? For your mum the TV may be way more piercing and loud.

What's more annoying for me is when something has a terrible jump between the quiet and loud bits. I'm probably going to have to buy an amp with some sort of limiter setting to get around this.

My personal favourite for sound was the Almost Famous Bootleg cut - at no point in that movie was I forced to fiddle with the sound to deal with excessive bursts of noise.

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I don't mind "turning it down" as a courtesy to someone, but my mother in law takes it to an extreme. If she comes over and we have music playing she always wants to turn it down. It doesn't matter how low it's playing, she always cranks it down to where you can barely hear it at all. One time, out in the back yard, we had the radio on (a boombox), playing pretty low. First she turned it down to "not quite barely audible" and then later turned it off! I guess she's a music hater. [​IMG]
    P.S. This is the same mother in law who has ONE speaker connected to her stereo. [​IMG]

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Before pulling out the stick to beat these imbeciles with, I'd take a moment and consider that perhaps your own hearing is not up to par? Perhaps what is loud to you is actually painful to others.

Go get a hearing test, and if you come out perfect, wave it in front of the others and say "this is how the movie is supposed to be played!". If however you find you don't have a full range of hearing, then turn it down a notch because your own handicap is hindering the enjoyment of the movie for others.

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Ken,

It sounds like it might be time to get your own place. After all, if it's not yours, then you have to abide the house rules.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I hate those people who put 5 15" boomy loose subs in the back of their civic, letting the whole block hear their crappy rap music :F

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

12. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Bruce Chang: You watch "Office Space" to much
    [​IMG] (The best funny movie)
    --
    Being 16 living with my parents, I allways need to turn it down. Most kids have JVC boombox mini systems. I have a Denon with Klipsch ref. Oh well. When I move out in a few years I will allways crank the stereo[​IMG] ..Oh, got to go. Parents leaving. Time to crank the Klipsch[​IMG]

13. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I don't think Ken's old enough to leave home yet. But the folks here are correct: When living in someone else's home, one's own rules don't apply!

15. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Ken's 19 according to his profile...

16. Ken Garrison

There ain't much work around here. Everytime I see a help wanted ad, I go for it, then I get turned down or they don't call. Pisses me off.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ah, the picture fills out. You'll make it through this low-volume phase, Ken, I know you will.

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    "Hoi it's too fookin' loud" Sandra's sudden reaction when De Niro and Pacino start blasting away at each other in the middle of the street, I tell her the film is meant to be this loud, it's in the instructions on the back of the dvd, if I lower the sound it turns into a tv movie, the sound is meant to envelope you, 3D sound, well I might as well be talking to the cat.
    Oh yeah when she's listening to her pop music it's my turn to scream "Hey are you deaf or what? It's too feckin' loud you silly moo!", but she can't hear me because the music is too loud, you can't win.

19. Ken Garrison

I do turn it down. But only one notch or two. If they tell me to turn it down again, I say "If I turn it down anymore, I won't be able to hear it!" I don't like movies TOO loud. Pearl Harbor in the theater was so loud, it was distorting. I like them loud enough so it sounds real.

20. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter