What's new

Don't understand DVE's picture tests, please explain.... (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I don't quite understand what I'm suppose to do when trying to set my contrast/color/brightness/sharpness while using my DVE on my 51" Sony RPHDTV.

I'm suppose to adjust brightness until what happens??? i see the 3 black bars on the left and right of the rectangles in the middle but what am I supposed to do?

same for contrast, i don't see the top rectangle bloom at all so what am I looking for here.

color, i look through the blue filter and move the color adjustment until what happens?

sharpness, i adjust until the lines don't appear jagged correct?

please guys, i need help!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Brightness -- Observe the 3 black bars and adjust so the darkest one has faded into the background but the lightest one has not.

Contrast -- If you do not notice blooming, don't worry about it and use 100% as a preliminary setting. (If you do notice blooming, make a note of that setting) I'm not sure about DVE but analog Video Essentials has a second contrast test with a thin vertical line and half the screen black and the other half white. With this screen you may see the line bend as you raise the contrast. Lower the contrast so the line is not bent, or at least not bent very much. Make a note of the setting.

For projection CRT TV, think of one third of the range. For plasma or direct view CRT think of one half of the range. For DLP or LCD use 100% of the range. Now you have three numbers. Set contrast to the lowest.

Sharpness -- The screen has upright stripes getting finer and closer together going from left to right. Adjust so the line (stripe) pattern has minimal hotspotting in the vicinity of the finer lines but not so that the finest lines, formerly visible, become blurred. Compromise if you can't get both these things to work.

Color & Tint -- The screen has six wide upright color bars and one upright white bar in the top half of the screen and squares of different colors just underneath. Looking through the blue cellophane you see four upright bars. I forget which ones are which but you adjust the color and tint so of the four bars their top halves and bottom halves match.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Allen's advice is good, however it does seemed aimed at CRTs, as is common. Adjusting different display technologies means doing things in different ways, as you can see certain things change in some displays (such as the mentioned blooming caused by the loss of focus on the electron beam, or geometry distortion caused by inadequate power supply [this is not really super-relevant to correct calibration, but indicates a poorly designed set with an inadequate power supply] which are both limited to CRT displays. Sommething like a DLP RPTV will have none of these issues (but will have others instead, such as low-level dithering which is very helpful in setting black, and you need to utilize moving white bars to avoid clipping whites, which you may not need to do with CRT sets) so it's difficult to recommend the best way to use these patterns without first knowing what type of display kurt is using.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This information is directed precisely for the test patterns on Avia, which may not all be the same as those on DVE, however the patterns on each disc aim to achieve the same calibration, and the methods should be the same, though they may vary based on the specific abilities designed into each pattern.

Regardless, reading through these will give you a much better handle on what specifically is being adjusted with each pattern, and why. The specifics of what is contained in each pattern, of course, strictly refers to Avia, and *not* DVE. But this is informative nontheless:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=28110

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks