What's new

"Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" DVD (2 Viewers)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Certainly not demo quality, but quite fine and a nice, fun movie. The dishes are done, man! I usually see it in the bargain areas. Buy it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
According to IMDB, this film has a 2.35:1 ratio. Is this true??
Yes, I believe that is true. If you are asking this in regards to Luke's comments...I just think he meant that the transfer is anamorphic (ie enhanced for widescreen sets).

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Are you people watching a different movie than I am?

Last time I checked, the film has an OAR of 1.85:1 and the DVD is in that OAR (and as Luke said, it's 16:9 enhanced). And just because the IMDB says something, doesn't mean it's always correct.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Yes, 100% it's 2.35:1
For those who aren't familiar with the difference between the two, this is what a 2.35:1 image looks like, lifted from The Lizzie McGuire Movie:

The following screenshot is from Don't Tell Mom, The Babysitter's Dead.

As should be rather obvious, Don't Tell Mom... is not 2.35:1. As noted earlier, it's 1.78:1.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Sorry about that guys. I don't know what movie I was thinking of. I was sure it was 2.35:1. I should have said I was 99% sure to allow for error. :b

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
NOOOOOOO! ;)

In all honesty, I just about hit the floor when I read it wasn't 2.35:1. "How dare someone contradict my PERFECT memory of this disc."

Note to self: Next time actually check the package numbskull. :D

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
DTMTBD is a fantastic comedy, and brings to mind summers between my years in high school & the summer right after graduation (I graduated H.S. in the late 1980's). I used to work at a restaurant during high school (like some of the characters in the film), so could relate to that aspect as well.

The premise of the mother being gone all summer & the kids being left to their own devices/without adult supervision was obviously "fun" at first, until the Christina Applegate character realized that in order to enjoy yourself, you need $ - LOL.

Though the film was released in '91, it definitely has a late 1980's vibe/feel/tone, due to probably having been filmed in 1990.

One of the many funny elements about this films was that most of the kids (especially the older ones) would have been happy if the mom left them on their own, as long as:

1) She didn't leave them with a babysitter, and

2) As long as she gave them enough money to buy junk food & everything else they wanted - LOL.

And this type of thing does happen IRL. When I was growing up back in the '80's, there was a family who lived down the street. The mother would leave her school-age kids with live-in help for months at a time while she spent time out of state, ostensibly to visit her "relatives" - however, I heard later that she just didn't want to deal with her kids, which is why she was gone for so long - LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks