Don't Look Now

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil L, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Ok, I really like this movie and I'm generally good with details but could someone please explain

Who the woman in the red coat at the end is?

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

The serial killer that has run amok in Venice for the duration of the movie. Other than that, I have no idea.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Thanks, but I knew that. I was hoping for something more specific. Anyone?

4. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I'm not sure you will get that specific answers, this movie isn't really a murder mystery, it's a mood piece for which the murders are mostly serving as backdrops - other people may be able to give reasoning grounded in art, but personally the only reason I can think of for making her a short woman is to make it more plausible that Donald Sutherland can confuse her with his daughter.

5. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

As Bjørn stated, the film intentionally leaves any explanations open to interpretation. As I see it, the film is about (among other things) how we cope with loss. Unlike his wife, who finds in her faith in the psychic's vision closure and catharsis, John Baxter seems afraid to confront the pain caused by his daughter's death; instead, choosing to put it out of his mind, while its residue festers inside him; hardening him to feeling joy, happiness, contentment, faith, hope, or any real emotion. (Indeed, the film's famously-detailed love scene--perhaps the first time the couple has had sex since the death of their little girl--contrasts sharply to the cold manner John Baxter seems only able to dole out during the rest of the film).

The much-debated ending seems to symbolize John Baxter finally deciding to confront his "demon"; but, being bereft of the spiritual vitality which restored his wife, he was undone by it. For him, the ghost of his little red-coated daughter had morphed into a real demon; which turned on him, like the Grim Reaper, with physical death as its final end.

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

What can I say after Agee's supremely well-stated explanation? [​IMG]