What's new

Don't know where else to mention this. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nothing earth-shattering here, but kind of interesting:

Two Saturdays ago, I was looking inside one of my cabinets that contain DVDs (they have for a long time exceeded all my shelf space). The cabinet is at the level of the floor. And I was just trying to figure if I wanted to screen one of the DVDs to pass some time.

To the right side of the top shelf in this cabinet, there was a naked disc leaning against the side, deprived of its case.

So I also was wondering if I had a spare case to put it in. However, in the next second or so, I reached for another disc and, in the process, managed to knock my hand against the naked disc. Instantly, I heard the sound of something -- the disc, I thought -- dropping.

Clearing my eyes a little, I could see that the naked disc was no longer standing against the side of the cabinet. In fact, I could not see the disc anywhere.

Amused and bemoaning my aging eyesight, I stood up and turned on the hall light, hoping to locate where the disc might be lying. To my amazement, the disc was nowhere to be found.

Now truly interested, I mused that, of course, the disc was somewhere in the cabinet. But where? A minute or two passed while I squatted there, impressed that a disc which should have simply been knocked on its side had seemed to disappear.

I stood up and looked on the floor surrounding the cabinet. No disc. I then got back on my knees and looked closely at the bottom shelf of the cabinet, and still could see no disc.

Being a firm believer in critical thinking, I smiled as I looked inside the cabinet and wondered where the naked DVD ended up, half-joking to myself silently about trans-dimensional warps.

Then I saw what happened. The cabinet shelf was spaced from the wall by less than an eighth-inch. Then I noticed the same situation with the lower shelf. Looking closely at the lower shelf I saw the very edge of something shiny. The naked DVD.

It had sunk along the side of the cabinet and nearly disappeared altogether but for a very, very slight sliver. I managed to free it and then decided to place it in a CD jewel case. The whole episode was amusing.

But imagine if the disc had sunk entirely below the bottom shelf. To this day I would be mystified by The Mysterious Disappearing DVD.

As I said, nothing big here. I got a laugh out of it, though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I agree with Mort. What was on the disc? That's the kind of information that will drive the average HTFer nuts. By the way, why do you have an unprotected disc? For shame. Get some spare jewel cases to throw those in until you can find a more permanent home for them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm more concerned that Attila is being exposed to nakedness in the Briggs household. Do we need to alert feline social services? ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Ah this December is much milder than last year's, which was my first in Boise. It's presently 43 deg. F and raining steadily but without wind. Tonight's menu includes a fresh Dungeness crab ($3.50/lb) with mixed rice pilaf and the last of the cheap ($2/lb) asparagus. Lots of melted butter with fresh garlic and fresh rosemary from the garden. Rounded off with a nice Hogue Sav. Blanc ($5.40 after discounts at Fred Meyer). Who says you can't dine rich for $10 including the wine? :laugh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i went to blockbuster today to get some gift cards.
i found one that was really neat.
it was the lenticular/hologram type image of the chest of Spider-man that changes from the red to black costume and back again.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's awfully chilly here in Los Angeles.

About the naked disc: It's something I got way back in 1999. Something about Hollywood scandals and actors/actresses getting into fights outside of nightclubs, police arresting celebrities, etc., etc. Just goes to show you how little was available on DVD back in '99.

It became naked because I received a gorgeous book on an Amazon order about two months ago that came with a terrific DVD affixed to the back cover. Because I liked that disc so much, I removed the celebrity-scandal disc from its cover and put the neat DVD in instead.

I abhor DVDs becoming naked, even discs that I do not care for.

Attila says hello to everyone. I love that little punk.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I once lost a quarter in a gopher hole.

Okay, it wasn't a quarter, it was $48,000.00

And it wasn't a gopher hole, it was a condominium.

Same thing, though.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Ok - I have a little story to relate on a disappearing item but it has nothing to do with dvd or home theater.

When my brother got married, I and the rest of the wedding party were in the basement of the church preparing. The best man held out the ring in its box for my brother to take but it was juggled and dropped - and that was the last we saw of the ring until after the ceremony. We searched absolutely everywhere, we even had my brother and the best man remove their clothes so they could be examined. Nothing. We had a dozen people looking and relooking every possible and some damned unlikely place it might be, but no luck. Finally we had to proceed. My brother borrowed a ring and the ceremony went on. It wasn't until afterwards that we found out the ring had been deflected towards the stairway where a friend of my parents was walking. She saw the ring, thought it belonged to one of the servers, picked it up and went upstairs. Only when she overheard someone relating about the happenings downstairs did she realize that she had the missing ring. We didn't let her forget it for quite a while.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Okay.. here's my disc story..

My brother once was taking a CD out of a player and bumped the disc on something and fumbled to catch it before it hit the floor.

He managed to catch the disc by the edges in mid-air between his thumb and fingers.. just like how you're supposed to handle a disc actually. Except.. in his excitement he must've applied too much pressure catching the disc and it shattered.

LOL.. at least it wasn't scratched by hitting the floor.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
We had an interesting "find once". After my brother's wedding reception, his mother and father in law were driving home. Their reception was in UAW union has which is next to a neighborhood, and when they were driving home through the neighborhood, they saw something that looked like a check in the road. They stopped, got out and looked at it, and it was the DJ's check that they had written earlier. One of them called up the DJ and evidently, on the ride home, his girlfriend, for some reason, got pissed at him and threw his check out the car window. He stopped, but couldn't find it. He was very happy to hear from my brother's inlaws. LOL

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, I find it a little worrying that included in the photos of what you're going to eat is one of your cat.

I am disgusted that you would eat your cat - with white wine? Good grief, what were you thinking? A robust claret at the very least is needed with cat.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Andrew,

The photo of the Flufferdoodle was included under the heading "Life is good". In other words, part of the good life is dinner, and the companionship of the little furry guy. Another expression made unclear with the use or misuse of the comma...like our second amendment.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Jack, I think it was ghosts that made your DVD disappear. You can't prove it wasn't.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My car is in the shop so I when I went out last night I had to call a cab to get home at 1AM. I get into the cab, and after a couple of blocks, I am surprised to see a woman with a big fro in the front passenger seat get up from apparently laying her head down on the driver's lap (don't ask). Weird enough. Still moments later, a huge puff of smoke clouded much of the front section -- homegirl had just lit up some ganja and proceeded to smoke. I, having ingested massive amounts of alcohol earlier, had to do a double-take in disbelief, but yeah, I wasn't dreaming. Her and the driver barely talked. And it was like I wasn't even there. The whole thing was very matter of fact.

The 10 minute ride home was pretty surreal. In disbelief, and for the records I took out my cell and blasted a text to much of my address book: "Um there is a front passenger in this cab. She is smokin weed. WTF?!"

I don't know how I get into these bizarre situations.

--
H - it was some good quality shit too

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks