Don't know what to do - to SVS or not to SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Dec 23, 2002.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm already planning for my last big after-the-holidays upgrade and I was thinking of either a new receiver (to replace my Technics SA-DX950) or a new subwoofer (to replace my incredibly bad Aiwa TS-W150) and after some advice I've decided that a new subwoofer is the best idea. Unfortunately, it looks like a good subwoofer is going to cost more than I was planning on spending which leaves me with two options...

Save up and get an SVS (although the best I'll be likely to afford is a 25-31PCi) or...

...get something in the range of about $300-$350 right after Christmas.

Is the 25-31PCi really worth it over what's in the lower range? Would it be worth waiting for? I know everyone has been raving about them, but the most I can afford is a lower end model... is it still worth it?

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    George:

I personally think that you should get the PCi. But that's me. Keep in mind that SV Subs has a very generous return policy so you would be able to audition it in your home to help with your decision.

Also, email Tom or Ron with any specific questions that you might have regarding the right one to get for your room.

Parker

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I have credit cards and poor impulse control. I have had 2 SVS's (20-39PC and 25-31PC+) and a Velodyne 810 and an
    Hsu VTF-2, and auditioned a Vel CT-100 in my home. A friend with a similar room to mine has a JBL PB-12.

SVS was the best of the bunch. Please note that they were not the cheapest, just the best. As others have said, they don't always seem that way at first. Their non-boomy character at first seems like you have less bass. But all you need to do is watch one entire movie to see that they don't 'run out of breath' at high volume, nor exaggerate bass that isn't there.

Having said that, the VTF-2 from Hsu was no slouch. It would play nearly as loud as my 20-39PC, but I got the feeling that it was near its limit. I never get that feeling with my SVS. And don't consider the 25-31PCi a 'low end' model. It's just tuned a little higher, but still kicks it out better than most subs around. It is a great sub.

In hindsight, I'd wait and get the SVS. If you don't like the styling, the VTF-2 is a strong contender.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

James,
    So if I am understanding you right if I don't have the room or the svs 25-31pci is a waf then I could go with the hsu vt2 and be satisfied?
    Can it hit as low as the svs?
    I have read great reviews about the vt2 but still considering the svs.

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

George;

Save up, man. Whichever sub you get at $300-$350, will not be much of an improvement over that Aiwa sub you have now. You'll buy it, and then you'll probably be looking to upgrade again in a year or so (maybe less). Save up for the SVS and know that once you have it, you won't be likely to upgrade it for a long time.

6. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

I own the 2531pci and think its the best thing I ever did to improve my enjoyment of music and movies.

However if the price is not right, don't forget the Adire Rava.

7. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Chad- Yes, in my room (12x12) the VTF-2 kicked like a mule. It was every bit as satisfying as the 20-39PC (original driver, original amp). The VTF-2 did not have the low frequency extension (27Hz vs. 20Hz for SVS), but had a little more 'kick', or 'slam' in the 30-40 Hz range.

Please note that I am comparing an original SVS model, not the new, improved version. The new models have a more powerful amp, better driver, and a beefed up enclosure. And the 25-31PCi probably has that extra kick up higher.
    Plus, they are now a lot less expensive.

A tough call. But as Parker stated, SVS does have a liberal return policy. And they really do back their products. Any question I have had was responded to within 12 hours of having sent it.

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

If you have the tools build one instead if not I'd heartily recommend the likes of Adire, HSU, or SVS as well. Literally buying any other brand and you will do worse.

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

10. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

The only tools you need to build a sub is a drill for the screws and a jigsaw for the hole. Home depot will cut the would for you so all you need to do is glue and screw the box together and cut the hole for the sub . you should be able to do this in less them 4 hours easy.

11. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Save up for the 25-31. You will not be sorry.

I have two older 25-31CS's and even one puts out plenty of good punch. It was the single best upgrade I have done as far as audio is concerned.

12. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

"the best I'll be likely to afford is a 25-31PCi"
    "the most I can afford is a lower end model"
    LOL. Whoever told you the 25-31 is a "lower end model" was sorely mistaken. Of all the PCi models, the 25-31 will have the most audible bass.
    Recently I created a test CD with pure sine waves 15Hz to 99Hz. It was very instructive to learn how quickly my hearing falls off. At 40Hz everything's normal. At 35Hz its a little softer. At 30Hz I can hear it but its very soft. Below that its pretty much all tactile. I get the same results whether I'm using my 25-31 PC or my DIY DVC sub tuned to 22Hz. And don't think the 25-31 lacks tactile response. My wife is worried that our home insurance won't cover "subwoofing damage".

13. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

14. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

A bad sub is much, much worse than no sub. Does your wife watch movies too. . . Take the sub out and tell her you wont be "honeymooning" anymore untill you get your SVS, 2 can play that game. My wife has hated everything I ever bought especially if it was big and black. Then try to take out one of those black boxes, what are you doing??? I have had to show her, she gets the same goose bumps that I do. I found that I demo, she listens, she makes the decision, most of the time the right one, besides it makes all the difference knowing she is included in the process, all I ask is wait untill you hear it before saying no.
    I just bought a cs2039 to replace 2 small subs that had great sound but wouldnt go low (not much under 50) now after watching every DVD over. . . Got around to Independence Day last night. . . When the mother ship blew up in the end we wanted to "Duck and Cover".
    It was the best audio bucks I think I ever spent. I took months studying, thinking, reviewing looking for a reason not to buy untill I couldnt find a reason then I got one and she is glad I did, I notice her petting it ever so often. . . nothing just looking at it, had some fuzz on it, ya right. . . fuzz on it. . .