What's new

Don't know how to summarize this question. (About P&S.) (1 Viewer)

Greg Elliot

Auditioning
When a movie has to different versions, such as a wide screen and a full screen version, am I losing any image quality by going with the full screen version? It seems like if it was shot on 2.35 film or somthing they would half to stretch it to make it full screen.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Welcome to the forum, Greg!
Yes, you are losing a fairly large amount of the image itself with a full-screen version of a widescreen movie.
I urge you to visit Widescreen Advocate for information about why widescreen is better.
HTF is a 100% pro-OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) community. If it was shown widescreen in the theater, it should be seen in widescreen at home. And on a standard square television, that means with the black bars (don't worry, black bars are your friends :) ).

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Welcome to HTF!
I would also recommended checking out the aforementioned link. It's very informative for people who are new to these concepts.
I noticed your question asked if you lost any "image quality" by going with the full screen version. If you are referring to image quality of the picture that you actually see, the answer would probably be "no". However, there's a good chance that you are missing up to 40% of the image itself. Take a look at widescreenadvocate and feel free to post any more questions regarding the subject. I think you'll find many people here at HTF willing to give you assistance.
Link Removed

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Greg,
Welcome to the forum!
In addition to the site they discussed, there are some tutorials right here on this forum that will help you:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/home/wsfaq.html
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...876#post511876
Also, check out Ryan's great animated example:
http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml
You might try checking the entire Home Theater Primer link in my signature- it will probably answer some other questions you have. Also, check out our HOME THEATER BASICS area, which is usually the best place for this type of question.
-Vince

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ah, we must get our hands on them when they are fresh and young in this hobby of ours! :)
Greg: With some films, you can lose upwards of sixty percent of the image through pan-and-scan (Ben-Hur, for example). The people of HTF, of whom you are now one, are bothered by such things.
Welcome.

Chris M

Second Unit
And yet another reason why the studios NEED To start EDUCATING The public! Why don't they see this??

Chris.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Greg:
Welcome to the forum.
I congratulate you on researching your decision, and arriving at the best decision! I know you'll enjoy seeing DVD's in the full theatrical format :).
Don't be a stranger here.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
As Changler said about Phoebe in Friends when watching Xanadu on their large screen TV (after she tells them to go out and be with the 3D people - until she sees Xanadu on the TV):

He's one of us now!

Greg Elliot

Auditioning
Well I read the FAQ page and the page about widescreen formats. Alot of good info there. This whole anamorphic thing is complicated. I can't belive the studios would release a movie that isn't animorphicly modified. If I had a digital TV and a DVD looked like the one in this
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ic185demo.html
I think I'd be a little mad. Is the anamorphic thing an Issue with projectors?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
greg - congratulations on joining the team! you've made one of the biggest leaps involving ht and the oar issue.
but....i should warn you there is no going back...
soon you won't be able to watch any movie on tv because the only thing you'll be thinking is "man, i'm losing too much of the picture!"
it only gets worse my friend....at this time there are no known cures for this ailment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks