Don't kill me for asking this.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by sambryan, Feb 20, 2001.

1. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

I am not new to the forum nor am I without HT knowledge so don't kill me for asking this....
    I have a Marquee 9501LC Very HD ready with a line doubler. I was looking to get some HDTV running on it. In my area PBS and CBS both run HDTV.
    What do I need? A reciever? or just an antannae? I never really got around to looking at HD untill now but after seeing Marisa Tomei eat an apple in HD at the local Circuit City I am sold... I want to see how it looks at home cheaply before I go head first into a HDTV reciever.....
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Sam

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Unless you Hd set has a built in hd decoder, you will need both an HD decoder set top box and an over the air antenna...
    If your set is listed as hd ready, than you do need the separate hd decoder set top box...
    ------------------

3. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

My CRT projector is HD ready but I guess I do need a set top of some kind to recieve the HD signal. Any idea on where to find these?

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Most Higher end AV stores will have a few to choose from...Circuit city and Best buy carry the rca dtc 100 stb...
    ------------------

5. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Depending on the price you find for the DTC100 set top decoder, a cheaper option may be to get a Dish 6000 receiver and an 8VSB OTA module to receive the local HDTV stations.
    Of course, you will have to pay at least $39.95 a month for satellite service (for at least a year), but you can also get HD HBO and Showtime (I think it's free for now) when you point the second dish at the 61.5 satellite (make sure you get the Dish 6000 package _with_ two dishes and a SW21 switch).
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs to Hellen Keller.

6. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

Wow, I guess it is gonna cost me $$$ to step up to HD.

7. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

You're kidding, right? You have a +$20,000 projector and are worried about spending an extra $600-800 to get HDTV and give it a signal worthy of its value? Please say it isn't so.....
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

8. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

No I am not kidding,
    Just got the projector in a "right place Right time" deal. I don't have the extra Cash for the HD reciever....

9. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Sam,
    When did CBS start airing in HDTV? I am in KC as well and this is news to me!
    Matt

10. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Ok Sam, let's see what we can do for you. That projector just cries out for some HDTV. It would be irresponsible/neglectful not to feed it to him/it.
    The very best deal I could find for you is from www.dishdepot.com . They are very reliable and highly respected in the satellite community for their good prices and great customer service. If you call, Mark will help you with any questions you may have about setting up your system.
    Their cheapest deal is their 6023 system package. For $349 plus $35 shipping you get a 6000 HDTV receiver, remote, 2 dishes, and all necessary cables and switches. It also offers the option of a FREE additional receiver (2800, non-HD) should you want it for another TV in your house. To get this reduced price, you must agree to purchase Dish Network programming totalling at least $21.99 a month and keep it for at least 8 months. It just so happens that's what the HBO + Showtime package costs, so for $21.99 a month you get both HD feeds AND you fulfill your commitment. For OTA capability (CBS, PBS), you'll get the 8VSB tuner for $135 (regular price $149). TOTAL COST: $519 and a $21.99 a month programming commitment.
    You also have the option to request a $199 rebate from Dish Network, but for that you must make a programming commitment of at least $39.99 a month and keep it for at least 12 months. After the 12 months you can reduce it to $21.99 for the HD feeds only. TOTAL COST: $320 and a $39.99 a month programming commitment.
    So there you go. $320 plus $40 a month. You can't afford NOT to take the plunge. Trust me, you won't regret it.
    By the way, how much did you pay for that Marquee? I'm looking to upgrade to a front projector in the future and that's one of the ones I'm looking at.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

11. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

You don't want to know how much I paid for that Marquee....
    Long story short...... Traded an ECP 4500 for it..... Look for my name on AVSforums.com foor the long form of the story.
    I thought CBS was HD in KC... Maybe not?....
    Thanks guys!

12. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

So, are you gonna go for the HD receiver? I'm sure you can afford $320 and $40 a month, right?
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

13. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

14. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Just keep in mind that the $199 rebate is only available until 3/31/01.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

15. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

That screen looks kinda small. What are the measurements? Also, why 4:3? With that projector you could do 96" 16:9, easy. Maybe even 108".
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

16. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

I just got the projector... Haven't even installed it yet. I was running an ECP 4505 untill yesterday.......

17. sambryan

sambryan Auditioning

Oh yeah the screen is 100" corner to corner.... I didn't go 16.9 yet also because what if I want to watch the Superbowl????

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

superbowl was 16x9 on CBS this year [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter
    "In the future everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes." -Andy Warhol
    http://lutter.i.am
    DVD Profiler

19. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

All HD is 16.9
    ------------------