Don't judge me by the car I drive.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Varacin, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

OK, I admit, I drive a beater. A 1991 green Chevy with growing rust spots, 233,000 miles, and each fill up requires the addition of power steering fluid and antifreeze. I like it though - it fits like a glove.

I am tired, however, of people pre-judging me by my vehicle. Why? What is it about this society that makes people associate old cars with lower class?

After all, I'm well educated, do very well financially, and I'm the one laughing at them for paying interest on something that is going down in value!

Jeeze. Society is so screwed up sometimes.

2. BrettB

BrettB Producer

3. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Perhaps you're encountering shallow people.

I work with a guy that makes less than I do, has a wife that's a stay at home mom for their daugther and he has some of the nicest clothes I've ever seen. On top of that he has a gorgeous house with fine furniture. In fact the only debt he has his house. Guess what. He drives an old beat up Nissan that's paid for.

I look upon him as classy, smart and a person that has his shit together.

There's nothing wrong with driving an old car. There's also nothing wrong with making payments on a car to have something nice.

Personally, I have a hard time enjoying my truck because it's not paid for but that's me.

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I judge people by their Home Theater Equipment. [​IMG]

6. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

All hail my '93 Sentra. My parents thought this would be the perfect graduation gift. I actually love the car. It only has 2 problems. One the fan doesnt blow air so I have no heater and my car stereo doesnt work because I jerry-rigged it. I will be fixing both over Spring Break

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Good points Brett - Where's the beef ? Throw us a bone, Michael. Do people actually sneer as you drive past ?

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

It's all about priorities. Some people like to spend large portions of their income on one of or a combination of the following: cars, residences, boats, furniture, clothing, food, alcohol, cigaretes, electronics, software etc. There is nothing wrong with this, as it is their money. But you judging them for spending money on a nice new car is the same thing as them judging you for saving money by driving an old car. Also, the most expensive cars in the world are old.

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I feel old knowing that a 91 was 12 years ago. I was a sophomore that year.

Don't feel bad about driving it. I believe my dad is better off than most and he drives a 96 Accord. Be yourself and the rest will come to you.

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I think you're paranoid. I have two vehicles: a 2001 Toyota Tacoma and a 1988 Dodge Daytona. I make sure that everybody I meet knows that I got that car for $660. I judge myself to be smart for getting such a good deal on that car and I dare anybody to say otherwise[​IMG]

11. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

We live in a aesthetically-driven society. Appearance counts. Is it the deciding factor of things? Not always. But it's true. Hence the success of Bose.... [​IMG]

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think Michael only assumes that people think he is lower class. Also that he assumes people who who pay interest and luxury tax on a cars are shallow.

I believe all this assuming and lack of communication and truth are a negative quality to society.

I used to drive an 89 Buick POS that everybody disced yet they also loved to get a ride in. When I focused on the negative of what people thought of the car I sold it for $450 cash when it's blue book was about $3,500.

I don't blame society for why I sold it fast to the first offer, I blame myself for making an irrational decision. Because I sold the car so fast I needed a car just as fast. This resulted in my mom giving me her fairly new 4runner which then forced her to buy a new car fast. She ended up leasing a Honda van that was in a non-favorable beige color.

Sort of a chain reaction of bad deals.

14. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

15. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

HAHAHAH You poor bastard..... I cant beleive youre not cool enough to have a NEW car...... hahaha
    In a way that sounds like something my wife would say

oh wait I have a 85 caprice classic(like driving on a cloud, and enough room to hump!)
    I live in a town where 60% drive trucks (rusty shit kickers) and the other 40% drive SUV's and Lexus Sports..... Arghhh

16. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Actually, why not use your old car as a "litmus test" so that you can see what degree of shallowness the other person possesses. Currently I drive a '94 Civic that I paid cash for it 7 years ago, and have been payment free ever since. I don't envy those folks driving cars and making those monthly payments. Not much feels as good as being payment free.

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I think this feeling of being pre-judged is more in your mind than anything else. While we do buy new cars, we tend to keep them a long time. I kept my '93 Camry for almost 10 years before finally replacing it. I never felt like I was looked down upon for driving an old car. Of course, my older cars do not look like beaters, either. I take care of them so they will last for a long time.

19. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

I have picked up several blind dates in my vehicle. Conversations go great until we reach my car. I can tell an immediate assumption has just been made. Nothing has to be said, it's obvious. The smile always gets a bit smaller.

I have also gone on several job interviews where we left the building for lunch, and questions regarding my car would arise. Why was it even noticed?

Ever pull up next to someone in your old car, and have them roll their eyes at you?

The point of my post was more to encourage others to state their opinions / experience.

Here's a good one: I had a nice, shiny new car that I drove for about a year. It was not my daily driver, since I always have my bike with me in my daily car and didn't want to get the new one muddy. The difference in people's attitudes was overwhelming. Example: At a 4 way stop...more people would just go, assuming I would wait for them with the old car. In the new car, people would wait for me to go.

At merges, people would race ahead to beat me to the merge so they would not be stuck behind the old car. Not as much with the new car.

I sold the new car after a year, deciding it wasn't worth owning it. My old car was working just fine.

I guess the problem is becoming more annoying now that I am in the dating circle again.

No, I don't think people that drive fancy cars are shallow, nor do I envy them. I choose to spend my money on other things. That's my choice, a new car is their choice. I don't care. I just don't like having to explain an old car, yet never having to explain a new one. It doesn't make sense.

20. andrew markworthy

Expensive cars:

(a) can by law only travel as fast as the speed limit allows (i.e. just the same as a cheaper, older car)
    (b) are gas guzzlers that are doing way more harm to the environment than smaller cars
    (c) won't make you drive better
    (d) cost more in loan repayments, insurance premiums, etc - the difference in cost would probably fund most peoples' DVD purchases.

And if someone is impressed by the car and not the person driving it, do you really want to be associated with them?