Don't ever lose your receipt!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brendan B, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Brendan B

Brendan B Extra

Hey guys,
    I recently purchased a Yamaha HTR-5490 at Best Buy for my cousin who is getting married in about a week. I go over to his house and it turns out that he already has the receiver. Curious as I was, I asked him how much he had paid for it and he said he got it for around $550. I was shocked because at Best Buy I had spent well over $800 for it. Anyway, to make a long story short I decided to return the receiver and could not find my receipt. I spent days scrounging through the trash can and such still to no avail. I went to best buy anyways figuring that the best they could do for me was give me store credit. Nope, didn't happen. Apparently their limit is around $500 if you are returning without a receipt. So now here i am stuck with this overpriced receiver and a big dent in my savings. If you learn one thing in life, learn this: Don't ever lose your receipt.
    Oh yea, (i hope this is not illegal on the boards) I am selling the receiver for $550 SHIPPED in the continental us. If any of you are interested, email me at [email protected]

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Best Buy does not track the purchases of its customers in a computer system and the receipt is very important! I prefer Circuit City, if I lose my receipt all I need is my phone number and an ID.

A friend of mine took a VCR to a Best Buy in Northern Virginia. He went to the customer service counter to return it but he didn't have the receipt. They refused him and as he was trying to walk out of the store the security guard stopped him and asked for a receipt. When he could not produce one the security guard detained him and called the police. It took over two hours to convince all involved that he had not stolen the unit...and he was finally released. He told this story to a Circuit City manager and that manager allowed him to return the VCR for store credit at a Circuit City! That's customer service.

Thanks,

Jeff

3. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Another moral to that story is that if you ever walk in somewhere with a return item without a receipt you should always check in with the security guard on your way in! I've always done this, but admit I never really figured that the consequences of not doing so would be a visit by the police...

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would try going over everybody at store level & call Best Buy's coperate headquarters & see if they might be willing to help you out. Explain the situation to them but don't get mad at them. If they do give you a hard time I would then tell them that you & your family & friends will never shop at Best Buy again. I would think that with serial numbers on electronic gear & computers today that they ought to be able to tell that it came from one of their stores (I would think that they would know exactly which store the item was even shipped to). If you can't get anywhere with them I would try taking it back to another store that carried the exact same item & explain it to them. A lot of stores especially in this retail market today might be glad to help you out. If you really want to be a pain in the a** try calling your local TV station especially if they have a Consumer Reporter. One call from a tv station about your problem & they won't be able to give you your money back quick enough [​IMG] How did you pay for the receiver? cash? If you gave them a check show them the canceled check. If a credit card call your credit card company & explain the problem. All I can say is that if it were up to me I would never let it slide, a $300 loss is just too much. What would they have done if it was a gift & you din't get the receipt?

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bill- Good idea. Keep trying. Use your credit card bill when you get it.

Sometimes, writing a letter helps too. Be nice but firm. Works wonders sometimes.

6. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

there should be a tag on the box that identifies it is a best buy item. There should be a three digit number in big letters (numbers actually [​IMG]) that says what store it came from. Finally they CAN look up your receipt IF you paid by credit card. Don't tell them where you heard it from, just tell them a reputable source told you [​IMG] .

7. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

After getting any new electronic item, I staple the receipt to the inside cover of the manual. I have a box in my closet that has every manual to every item I have, from dvd players to cordless phones, appliances, even outdoor equipment. I also store the box for each piece of a/v equipment I own for as long as I have it.
    Your case is a little different, but I thought I'd share one of my querks.