What's new

Don't DO that!! - Fashion & Everyday Grooming NoNo's (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Ever see someone dressed or groomed in a certain way that makes you take notice for all the wrong reasons?
Lately, I have!
~rant~
I'm not exactly a fashion-whore, and I certainly don't keep up with most of the new styles (I have neither the patience, the wallet, or the stomach for a lot of the new trends), but I pretty much know what's going to generate positive, neutral, and negative attention to myself.
Some recent observations:
1. Joe Cool - There's this guy that works in my building who thinks he's "Mr. Cool". He's always wearing black Oakly sunglasses, a leather jacket, and listening to a walkman at work. I've NEVER seen him without those glasses & earphones, regardless of whether he's in the building or outside. Even more irritating, he's also the kind of guy who won't say "excuse me" when bumping into you in the hall, which has happened on 3 recent occasions... probably because he's wearing those stupid-ass sunglasses. I'd deck him next time, if we weren't at work! Gr....
2. Over Combing the Comb-Over - I noticed an older gentleman in my gym yesterday with a MASSIVE combover. Now, I can understand a bit of cover-up, but he had grown the hair on one side of his head down to his shoulder, while the other was trimmed pretty short. When he combs it, he adds a little swirl to the back to cover his entire bald spot. It looks absolutely awful, and you can pretty much tell that it's a bad combover. He'd look *much* better if he'd just cut his hair and be himself.
3. There's a flood on the 6th floor! - There's someone who works on my floor that has all his dress-pants hemmed about two-inches above his ankles. He's either going for the capri look, or he thinks that there's running water on the floor in his cubicle.
4. Did Revlon buy Dutch-Boy paint? - Anyone ever see Mimi on the Drew Carrey show? An lady who lives in my building must be taking makeup tips from her. Every time I pass her in the stairwell, I feel like I'm at the circus...
5. I took a shower in CoolWater this morning! - A "friend" of mine has no idea how to apply cologne. None whatsoever. NADA, NILL, ZILCH!!! I think he goes through a bottle a week. I can't get into a car with him for extended periods of time without getting massive headache, and several people (myself included) have mentioned this to him in the past. His response (no joke) is "If you don't like it, don't breathe around me!". :angry:
~/rant~
I'd like to say something to most of these people, but I don't want to come off and sound cruel (except for #5 - he's a putz!). Anyone else notice these kinds of trends? If so, have you every said or done anything?
Moe.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Haha! Moe I feel the exact same way regarding all of those people. Along the lines of "Mr. Joe Cool" not saying excuse me, I HATE people who don't say "Thank you" or even showing the slightest bit of acknowledgement when I hold the door open for them. I have gotten so sick of it that I usually will say "You're welcome!" really loud, or enough for them to hear. They really start to feel stupid when they turn around, say "I didn't say Thank You", and then realize that they were the rude ones. My fiance sometimes will cover my mouth so I won't say something too rude, as she's afraid somebody will want to start something. In other words, rude people suck!!

JamieD

Supporting Actor
With the exception of 1 and 5 (who are simply rude), it's none of your business. Simple. There's no reason to interfere with these people's lives simply because you are apparently a fashion pro. As for Mister Sunglasses, there IS the possibility that he has problems with office lighting. Several people I know do (myself included).

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I certainly don't keep up with most of the new styles (I have neither the patience, the wallet, or the stomach for a lot of the new trends), but I pretty much know what's going to generate positive, neutral, and negative attention to myself.
If I were to be considered part of this group (which could include walking around with my fly undone, a big booger hanging out of my nose, a trail of TP stuck to the heel of my shoe, or a piece of spinach stuck in between my teeth, etc.), I'd hope for someone to bring it to my attention. It might cause me temporary embarassment, but I'd probably be better off in the long run.

Moe.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Back in college, I made a bunch of friends promise to shoot me on site if they ever saw me with a comb-over.
Funny how I never thought I'd live to regret doing that.
Oh, the irony!
:)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I was hoping that this was going to talk about the fashion fopahs like wearing brown shoes with a black belt. I have no idea about those types of things and would like to know. I had to ask my friend about the shoe/belt combo.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Never EVER wear white dress shoes after labor day if you're a woman ...

... and never wear white dress shoes after 1979 if you're a man!

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Well my wife worked for Clinque, the cosmetics company, for several years. And now every women she see with bad makeup on she needs to comment to ME!!!
She is the makeup police...But I see her point sometimes..
StevA---
Up until my fathers passing 2 years ago he wore white shoes and had a white, baby blue, and light brown leisure suits. My stepmom asked me if I wanted them, but I forgot to get back to her;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks