Don't buy a Pinnacle PCTV card for capture

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Wysocki, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

Nov 21, 2001
    I'm getting my htpc together slowly but surely and now I'm to the point where I want to get my analog video (VCR, etc) to the projector which is fed from the PC. From someone's suggestion, I got a Pinnacle PCTV pro card to capture the s-video from the VCR where I think I'll then use dScaler to send it to the projector in native 1020x768.

ANYWAY... I installed the drivers and app for the card but it won't run. I get an error right after the splash screen just stating that it caused an error and will be shutdown. I'm running Windows 2000 but SOME sections of their website say that that's ok (while others don't). I'm posting this here because:

1. I was on phone hold for 45 minutes long distance to them before I hung up (the recording informed me that I could only take advantage of THIS service for 90 days).

2. I then went to their lousy website and couldn't find anywhere to send an email to them.

3. I navigated to their forums, registered and logged in, but wasn't given the opportunity to post a message (and none of those already there answered my issue)!

Does anyone have the card running on Win2k to display incoming s-video on screen? If so, how?

Suggestions "cheerfully" (as I can) accepted,
    Terry Wysocki
  2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

Dec 2, 2001
    i had wintv theater ( hauppauge ) and had similar problem. i gave up already. i really want a nice video capturing device so that i can record my gameplaying session. i mean the sources would be the videogame consoles.

if you eventually get a tv tuner that works wonderfully, please post it here.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Sep 3, 1999
    using a pctv pro on winxp here - what drivers are you using (w2k and xp use the same)?
  4. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Sep 24, 2000
    I'm using a AVerTV tuner on my PC running XP pro. It has a tuner, composite, s-video, and stereo input.

I have my second dish network reciever and Tivo hooked up to the s-video (Dish ---> TiVO ---> AVerTV) and a Mits VCR to the composite and use a switcher to switch audio.

It works great.

I surf the web and watch TV. Or use it to transfer all those VHS-C tapes of the kids to the PC.
    It has a VCR function and time slip functions but I use the TiVo for time slip, pause and use the VCR feature to record to the PC. You can select in VCR mode the quality you want to record at, very useful.

Mark B