Don't blame J6P or video stores for carrying P&S only DVD's!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

It's Universal and Warner who's at fault!
    There is no reason why they need to release separate WS and P&S DVD's. They have three options, IMO.
    1) Release ONE DVD in both P&S and Widescreen whether it be on two discs or one DVD-18, etc. This is not a new concept!
    2) Use P&S on the fly! I have seen this on a couple of Canadian DVD's and it works well. Just switch your DVD player to 4x3 P&S (DVD's can include these instructions) and the black bars are gone and the movie formatted to fit the TV.
    3) Stop releasing P&S titles altogether! Does Universal and Warner REALLY think retailers, like Wallmart, will stop carrying DVD's if they are widescreen only? OF COURSE NOT! But apparently retailers have convinced them of this. When I see around 80% of the DVD's at Wallmart are widescreen only, I'd say they are bluffing these studios.
    So instead of complaining to video stores, direct your complaints to Universal and Warner!!!
    Jeff
    [Edited last by Jeff on November 15, 2001 at 04:07 AM]

2. Ricky Cash

Ricky Cash Agent

If a retailer gets complaints from customers for what ever reason, the retailer should act to rectify the situation. I think we all could agree on this. It is not the retailers job to evaluate the knowledge of the product or taste of the customer.
    When the customer brings back his first dvd and tells the retailer that the picture looks too small on my screen with those black bars or some such silliness what is a retailer to do. You tell them the truth, "Hey that is the future of television buy a bigger TV". Or what I wish they would tell them, "You should have stuck with VHS." Of course not, they just smile and give them the refund. And maybe take a chance on getting back the cheap DVD player they sold just yesterday.
    Now with this senario possibly being played out in hundreds of stores around the country, as dvd started to hit the mainstream. Mr.Walton looks at his returned items list and sees a disturbing trend. Although they are selling more DVD's than ever they are also getting returns. So he calls a video confrence with district managers and asks why. They tell him people dont like widescreen.
    He says, "ok", (of course he dosent know what they mean by widescreen) he gets on the phone with the distributers. Hey Bubba did you know that people dont like widescreen?
    Bubba says whats widescreen? Mr.Walton says, I dont know but people dont like it. I only want to sell what people like take care of it.
    So naturally Bubba calls the marketers at the studios and says Mr. Walton is pissed, he says people dont like widescreen. Of course the marketers say, "who the hell is Mr. Walton". Bubba says, "you know Mr. Walmart Walton, they only sold 3 times the DVD's in the last 6 months than any three retailers in the country combined. The marketers say oh, that Mr. Walton. The rest is history.
    But dont blame J6P or the stores just blame the format itself. The ability to give people choice is the most wrong thing you can do in America. For some reason far too often we choose the wrong thing. DVD may well come to be too powerfull for its own good.
    A technology given birth to by very smart parents.Only to be taken away and raised by incompetent fools. Then sent out into the world to by appreciated only a select few of the beautiful people and abused by everyone else.
    [Edited last by Ricky Cash on November 09, 2001 at 04:42 AM]

3. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

~ I don't know why, but I don't trust that Bubba guy ?
    bodymov'n [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    "Don't blame Joe six pack!?"
    Why not?
    It's because of his/her blind and stubborn ignorance that is causing all of this! If they weren't so short sighted about OAR, they wouldn't be returning their dvd's to places like Wal Mart, and in turn, Wal Mart would not have a reason to complain to the studios about their OAR dvd's not selling or being returned because of the 'black bars'.
    But, I do agree, it's not ENTIRLY his/her fault, as I said in another thread, the studios are doing absolutly NOTHING to help this situation. Would it be so damn hard for them to put a short OAR "lesson", if you will, on each of their dvd's, like what Fox did for Die Hard?
    Of course it would be too hard, it means more work, and more work costs more money, and to add insult to injury, they don't feel it's their place to educate, and that is so sad, I can't even comprehend!
    You know what else? I don't even blame 'Block Buster', as much as I hate them! They're just responding to what Joe/Jane Six pack are doing and saying about OAR dvd's. It ALL, begins with Joe/Jane six pack. However, why the don't make a few copies of the OAR version available to rent as well, is somthing i'll NEVER understand.
    As long as dvd continues it's struggle with pan n scam, I will ALWAYS blame the ones directly responsible for this mess...
    Joe and Jane Six Pack!
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

5. DougB

DougB Agent

quote: "But, I do agree, it's not ENTIRLY his/her fault"
    and then:"As long as dvd continues it's struggle with pan n scam, I will ALWAYS blame the ones directly responsible for this mess...
    Joe and Jane Six Pack!"
    Is that not a contradiction?

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    quote...
    "Is that not a contradiction?"
    No, I hold Joe and Jane sixpack responsible first and foremost, but my point was the studios are just compoundning the problem by not educating the public.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 09, 2001 at 09:09 AM]

7. DougB

DougB Agent

Educate them how? By putting a little 2 - 3 minute spot on the disc itself? I agree that they should put something somewhere in/on the package to show the difference. BUT, if it's just a little commercial type thing before the movie, what makes you think people won't just push the next button on their remote? Do you actually watch EVERYTHING on your DVDs? I don't. I bought them for a specific reason....to watch the movie. I skip through everything I can to get to the movie/program. I buy OAR when ever i can, I have not bought WONKA and CATS & DOGS, because they're not available yet. But...Just because people want their television screen filled or don't like the "little black bars", does not mean that they are IGNORANT.

8. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

Walmart and these other hick stores should simply post a big ass sign that says:
    Refunds will NOT be granted to customers returning DVD's because they do not like Widescreen.
    When Joe stupid comes in to bitch about those black bars, the clerk points to the sign.
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

9. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Doug, I really don't care if they watch it or not, my point was, that the studios should do SOMETHING, they are making no effort at all at this point in time! If the short explanation is actually present on the disc, then, maybe i'm being crazy here, chances are better that they may actually see it.
    quote...
    "But...just because people want their television screens filled or don't like the "little black bars", does not mean that they are IGNORANT."
    Sure it does.
    You seem to be under the immpression that the word 'ignorant' is a bad term, it just means that they are misinformed that's all.
    It's funny you should mention Cats and Dogs not being available yet, my widescreen copy on my shelf says otherwise.
    Richard, that is the best idea i've heard yet! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 09, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Then there is Eff'en Dreamworks who put the 4:3 P-n-S version of Shrek on disk one. What is the priority here?
    It is all the falt of J6P, if he did not complain about black-bars we would not be where we are now.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

11. DougB

DougB Agent

I am aware that some places have cats & dogs widescreen. But everywhere I have been here does not have it yet.

12. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if it's Wal-Mart corporate policy or not, but every one I've been in has signs in their music section about CDs edited for content. Wal-Mart does NOT label all CDs that are edited, yet they have signs saying that no returns or exchanges are allowed if people buy an edited CD and are upset about it.
    They could do the same thing for DVD. Although when there's choice (discs with 2 releases, like Mummy Returns), they should allow exchanges to the other version, but no refunds!

13. Michael Pedrosa

Now I've seen everything! Here's an example of how bad J6P can get: A friend of a friend recently invited a bunch of us to his house to demo his recently purchased 34" Toshiba 16x9. He told us that he wasn't completely happy because some movies _still_ had black bars at the top and bottom (I assume he was talking about movies in large ratios like 2.35). So he still prefers to buy a P&S version then zoom the image until it fills the screen! Someone in the group started to explain how wrong that was and how he was missing out on 16x9 enhancement but the guy was so proud of himself that we just gave up.
    Anyway, to stay on topic, it is very difficult to educate J6P, even when he has the right equipment. We have to take away the P&S choice. This has probably been mentioned before but maybe we should start purposely buying then returning P&S DVDs.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The studios need to grow some cojones alright. In the end, the problem can be traced back to them and their reluctance to stand up for oar.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

15. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Best Buy is just this week receiving the Cats & Dogs widescreen DVD...unreal!
    At any rate, here's my take on the educational clip idea added at the beginning of every DVD.
    1. It could easily be 30-60 seconds before each DVD, just like the FBI warning.
    2. You should NOT be able to skip it, thus forcing every single person to watch the small clip.
    Now I know everyone is going to flame me for saying that I'm crazy for suggesting #2, but I would gladly sit through this clip on each and every DVD I own if it meant that I will ALWAYS be able to buy any DVD in it's OAR. I already have to sit through so many FBI warnings, what's the difference?
    Education by the studios is the key!
    ------------------
    DarrenA
    The Academy Home Theater

16. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Good for you, Darren. The #2 is a must. Showing a clip of the movie on the DVD would help even more, and if the disc is P&S on one side and OAR on the other, it would only be on the P&S side.
    Glenn

17. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Of course the down side to all this would be movies shot in Super 35, or soft matte 1.85:1, unless they show clips of visual effects shots only, Joe/Jane would see more picture at the top and bottom of their presious full frame version and think that they were right all along.
    I would say, stick with showng clips from films shot anamorphically AT FIRST. If you just spring Super 35 on them, it's just going to scare them away.
    Teaching them about widescreen is one thing, teaching them to appreciate composition is quite another.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'll print that sign up and put it up at Wal-Mart!!

19. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

20. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Confuse them, scare them, same difference.
    Were trying to get a squerrel to come to us, if we make any big sudden movements, they're going to just run away.
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 10, 2001 at 03:24 AM]