What's new

Donnie Darko...a very strange movie (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
In the commentary, the director refers to the fat star-search lady as the Mystery Woman. Donnies sister is indeed dating Frank, who is just a normal teenager throughout the film, who then time travels back in time to meet Donnie AFTER Donnie kills him at the end.

Listen to the directors commentary. It will clear up many things, as he tells some symbolism and clues that no-one could ever possibly pick up on without having him explain it to you.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
The weakest actor in the movie, in my opinion, was Drew Barrymore. There were just too many moments where I was thinking "she's just acting". The other actors made their characters much more convincing. Even Patrick Swayze, who was supposed to play a phoney anyway. Did anyone else notice this?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's funny bob...

i thought the opposite. i liked drew's character. when she told the gal go sit next to the cutest boy
i was like "huh?...now that's whack". but the whole time i was thinking she'd be a cool teacher to have.

i thought her character was trippy in a "cool-trippy" way...

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I sure did.....whoops.
Or you could argue I wanted to give props out to the great British actor from Waking Ned Devine and Greenfingers! :)

Nick P

Second Unit
Jason,

It's funny you said what you did because I feel the same way. I am consumed by this movie. It's like it has a power over me. I too can't really talk about the movie but it's all I've been thinking about lately.

Travis D

Second Unit
Ron needs to review this so the masses from HTF will want to partake of this brilliant film. Ya hear me Ron?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for the link Ted. So it appears Fox wasn't responsible for the crappy packaging including the absurd comparison to Stir of Echoes and even worse Final Destination.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I went to rent this and bully at my local Hollywood Video..but suprise, they don't carry these titles! Anyone know of a chain that does?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should be able to find it at Blockbuster.

What do you mean by "these title?"

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you're welcome john. judging by the interview, do you think richard is a little pissed at the dvd people? :)
matthew - that's odd that you couldn't find it at hollywood, because that's where i got my rental from.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
do you think richard is a little pissed at the dvd people?
You mean the "bottom feeding douchebags?" Yeah, I think so. I have to say, one statement definitely did NOT impress me. It was him noting Speilberg, Zemeckis and Cameron as something like the greatest living directors. I was very surprised by this.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought he said they were an influence when he was younger or something? not sure. i think he listed someone else as his main influence these days or something.

oh well, i guess if i was a director i sure wouldn't mind being in spieldberg or cameron's shoes. hopefully he'll keep his independent vision alive through the hollywood "machine"!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The film lives in my mind. I understand and I agree with a lot of the discussion that has been going on here, but yet I'm obsessed with "Donnie Darko" in viewing mode only: I'll watch it and not talk about it. I will say, though, that I didn't need the commentary to understand the symbolism
Jason, I am of the same mind. Despite the numerous attempts I have made in this thread to dissect the symbolic significance of this movie, it ultimately has taken on a life of it's own in my own head, where it will doubtless stay in it's 'uncorrupted state' until I listen to the commentary and Kelly tells me exactly what he meant and didn't mean. I have been hesitant to watch the commentary for this reason.
If for a moment, I felt that Donnie Darko was strictly intended as 'science fiction' or a 'BTTF' homage, I would be greatly disappointed.
For the record, October of 1988 was the year I 'found myself.' I was roughly the same age as the characters and just kind of 'thought the same way.' Portions of this film were like watching an audio/video record of my past. Kind of a trip. :)
Add that to the new wave/goth music, and the whole 'cult' thing, and one could easily see why I enjoyed DD so much.
Joseph

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
(Mighty) Joseph Young, (like you haven't been called that a million times by now),

I am also reluctant to listen to the commentary for the same reason. Then again, who says that the director has to have the last word on his own movie? A lot of artists have one interpretation of their work, but then the art can many things to many people. You'd be surprised how many times an artist will have one very simple literal story in mind, but then everyone reads into it and sees the allegory that is there. Sometimes there is a subconsciously rendered work within the work.

So, I probably will end up listening to the commentary, just to hear another perspective, but I think the movie is open to interpretation enough that it will still be fun to re-watch and re-discover.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
A lot of artists have one interpretation of their work, but then the art can many things to many people
imo, that is so very true!
once i had a b&w photo essay in college. i pretty much had a specific angle and story i was trying to tell and (obviously) used certain images to tell the story. what amazed me was how varied the other classmates impressions were. some saw things i didn't even think about. others interpreted the images in a totally different way - that was one of the coolest things ever. i really enjoyed hearing what other's had to say.
so, i think regardless of what the director was trying to convey, what's really important is what we take from it. i think that's what makes movies like donnie darko so wonderful. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
what's really important is what we take from it.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Agreed. I think what bothers me about some schools of thought in strict academic film interpretation, is the tendancy to discount the emotional reaction of the viewer for sake of the most 'accurate' or 'true' intention of the author or director. Some films ('Mulholland Drive' comes to mind but there are many others) produce a distinct emotional gut-reaction on my first viewing, in response to a character's facial expression, the timing of their laughter, the way a scene is directed, musical cues, et cetera. Sometime my 'love' of a movie is based on the fact that it was able to extrapolate emotions from me that were hidden or previously ignored.
If you perceive yourself or your experiences and emotions buried in the context of a film, you don't have to agree with the director to have a valid point of view.
For instance, if I create a very personal work of art that is viewed (or heard) by many people, chances are some of them are going to perceive things that never occured to me.
Although I haven't listened to the commentary, it sounds as if they deconstruct the whole thing, leaving nothing to the imagination, to the instinct or interpretation. If that's true, perhaps I should stay away, because I would hate to have my feelings deflated. :D
Joseph

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Do you think this film might be used someday in High School or College just like the book "Animal Farm" was? Students will pick it apart, try to understand what the director was shooting for or maybe what they see the movie as?

I knew when I started this thread that there was "something" to this movie, I just didn't know what. I find it a unique film and perhaps this is why it is so high on my list of must see's. The movie made me think, kept me guessing and still keeps me guessing. It really is a great film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks