What's new

Done with my new sonosub.... (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
This is my second sono after my first got crushed recently. This time I ended up just trying out some dumb luck,I went ahead & used everything from my first sub so I didn't have to cut out anymore circles.I went with another 16" tube but added 4" to it making it 46" high & reused my Dayton 15"DVC & PE 250 watt amp. The other change I made was to port it with a 4"by 15" port that I hand made flared ends for on both ends out of some oak.
Well I got to say I have no clue as to what the tunning may be at (like I said DUMB LUCK) I tryed some various lenghts of port until it sounded right to me,& I got to say it is a pretty good improvement over my recent sealed system.The bass is actually tighter sounding & it will play quite a bit lower than before.
Well I just thought I'd share my dumb luck experience:D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, I took your numbers and did some rough calculations making some assumptions and guesses for a couple numbers.

I used the actual inner radius of the sonotube to be 8.2". I said the flared ports effective straight length was 16" (this is a big guess). And guessed that 2" of that 46" is occupied by the endcaps.

Roughly then with some rounding the result is a 150L enclosure tuned to 18hz (if the actual effective staight pipe length is 15" then the tune rises to 18.5hz).

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dustin, as far as the port goes it is 15" before the flair,in total if you count the flared ends its 16&1/8"long.
I didn't measure the total inside with the caps in place but, I would think your right as each end has three pieces of 3/4"MDF of which one is on the outside on both ends.
I wish I had an spl meter to take some measurements,I got to playing around last night with some music & I cant believe how much lower this thing goes than before.There is a couple upper bass levels that don't sound quite as good as before,but I'm pretty happy with what I did get out of it for something that I just threw together pretty much.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks