Donation suggestion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert James Clark, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Oct 25, 2001
    I will be donating today after I read your newsletter. You run a great site.

Here's a suggestion that may encourage more to donate:
    Have some kind of indication in the users name section of their posts that states that they have donated. Perhaps where it says "member since" under the username. A graphic of some type would be even better with different levels of sponsorship having different icons/graphics.

In our city, they raised money for a new clock tower by having residents sponsor "bricks" on the ground around it. Sponsors got their name on the bricks.

Just a thought...
  2. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

Sep 2, 2002
    I also made this suggestion to the person I pay paled. It worked great with some other sites I'm on and really encourages people to donate at least a few dollars. I made my donation already so I should be a card carrying member now. [​IMG]
  3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Feb 11, 2001
    I am not in favor of such a practice. I think it would discourage use of the site by those who are not contributors. Based on my time on this forum, I surmise that it's not the intent of the forum owners to have a "closed" (or at least more closed) forum. Sure, I think a percentage of folks who hadn't contributed will be swayed to do it based on such a tag, but others (typically the more casual users) would rather not post than either post without the tag or send in money. I don't think I would have used the forum as much as I have if such a practice was implemented when I started.

Of course, it's up to Ron and Parker as to how they implement scrounging up $ to keep the forum going. I sure hope there are enough of us who appreciate the forum the way it is to contribute without requiring the windshield sticker. I am in favor of the method used in this iteration; hope it works!

BTW, to make an analogy with the "bricks" implementation mentioned above, what if they had a separate pile of bricks next to the tower with all of the people's names that had not contributed?