What's new

Donald Fagen' "The Nightfly" on DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is, WOW. This was one of the first CD's I bought back in '83. It was a five star recording then and if I could give 5.5 to this I would. This is still on my Desert Island Disc list. What a great mix by Scheiner. This is the new demo disc for DVD-A, and if this doesn't get the ball rolling, nothing will.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
If publication schedule holds, it will appear in the March issue. This means lots o' writing on vacation over the holidays for me.
Good thing I have a laptop -- carrying around a desktop is a big PITA with increased security at airports these days :D
Regards,

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
John,

Have you found out of this was originally recorded at 48K or 41K? It would be a shame if it was 44.1/16bit native.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Philip,

It has been reported to me (but not verified) that the 3M system used was Soundstream, which had a 50K sampling frequency.

I don't know that I'll have an answer any time soon as I'm about to take off for the holidays and will have limited computer access for the next week or so.

Regards,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I am going to have to order this title, my local Best Buy did not get any in stock this week:angry:
For those of you looking for Elv1s look elsewhere as well. They had the disc marked for 24.99, which is higher then MSRP if I am not mistaken. The SACD section was the same old stale stuff they have had for a couple years. All in all another disappointing experience in finding Hi-res in a B&M store.
J

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
First, I'd like to thank everyone for the information and opinions on this excellent DVD-Audio disc.

I had to share the following experience with everyone here who relishes this album as I do.

I was in Salamanca, Spain with my wife a few years ago and we were in the town square eating lunch where a very popular Spanish band was to play that evening. The soundboard technicians were setting up the sound using "The Nighfly"! It was very cool hearing that cd sound very good throughout the streets of Salamanca!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As with Yes' Fragile, my analog MiniDisc copy sounds fine. No watermarking, either that or it's not working as it should (or ATRAC defeats it).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Oh, one more thing.....

I listened to much of the album in 5.1 and I have to say I don't think it sounds any better "quality wise" to my ears than the excellent Steely Dan Gaucho DTS CD. I believe DTS on CD is compressed 48Khz 20 bit resolution digital audio.

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just me or do a few songs (DVD-A surround mix) seem to have both vocals & drums mixed more to the left than right? I.G.Y. has the vocals in my FR and SR speakers - is this right?
Checked my cables thinking my fronts had been mixed up!
PS. Loving this album but finding it was a PITA!!! With DVD-A/SACD i'm finding it's like DVD used to be back in '97..."Do you sell DVD's??? They look like CD's but..." :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Derek,
I'm about 1000 miles away from my system to give an answer on this, hanging out for the holidays at my technophobic parent's home ;)
I don't recall IGY being mixed like that, but it's been several days since I've given this a listen.
Regards,

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As with Yes' Fragile, my analog MiniDisc copy sounds fine. No watermarking, either that or it's not working as it should (or ATRAC defeats it).
Philip,
I've had no need to go analog with my Warner titles (Bjork's 'Vespertine' and REM's 'Automatic for the People').
My Panasonic RP82 downconverts the high-resolution stereo from the DVD-A portion to 16/48, and passes it via the optical output without the copybit set.
Then, the Minidisc recorder happily converts this to 16/44.1 and records it.
I have seen the copybit on some other recordings' downconverted output.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I picked up this disc today at Fry's for $13.99, and wow! What a disc! This is the second Warner 24/48 disc I've purchased (the first being REM's Automatic) and also find it outstanding. I really don't know how this disc can sound better....even at 96khz.

Reg

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Reggie: I know what you mean. Cymbals for example (esp. track 1) sound SO clear & shimmery, practically right there in your room. All this from 1982 (and on digital recorders from 3M of all companies!).
The Nightfly at cduniverse.com
Nightfly homepage
LJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I really, really need to get this disc.
Lance, I have the original Japanese CD pressing of The Nightfly as well as the current US version, and both sound great. Fagen and Becker, together as Steely Dan, have always had very high standards for recording. They get heavily involved in the process so that their albums always sound great. (Well, Katy Lied sounds lousy because the master tape got wrecked by a Dolby DBX machine. :frowning:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance, I just wanted to make sure that you are aware that CD Universe link you provided is for the CD, not the DVD-Audio disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks