Donald Fagen....Kamakiriad... my new favorite DVD-A!!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Justin Lane, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

What a great disc. I have already listened to the album three times today... twice in surround, and once in stereo, and am thinking about spinning it again. Another great surround mix from Elliot Scheiner right on par with The Nightfly. Production and sonics are top notch throughout the entire disc which contains a 96/24 surround and stereo track (though originally digital 24/48, Scheiner went PCM to analog tape and then back to PCM according to this thread)

Disc also contains videos for Snowbound and Tomorrow's Girls as well as a behind the scenes video and lyrics. Low-res mixes in DD and DTS. To put it mildly, this is one packed disc.

So far my personal favorite is Florida Room, a very cool and relaxing surround mix that transports the listener from their locale to the forementioned room.

Another must buy disc from Warner, who seems to finally be getting their act together.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

J

2. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Yep, I also received this disc as well and it is excellent. Although I still like the Chicago disc more, this is a no brainer at $14. [​IMG]

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Justin you rascal... you scooped me on that pointer.

I'm currently away and can't check my e-mail, so I didn't get a chance to see if Messr. Ludwig had sent a note backto my query on the recordnig heritage,

Now I know [​IMG]

Regards

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Argh! I'm jealous! One of these days I'll need to upgrade my sound system and get this disc.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, thanks for the comments. I'll be looking for this one, but I still have to get out there and grab The Nightfly. [​IMG]

6. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

Must... buy... TODAY. Failed to pre-order online. Anyone know if it'll be widely available at BestCircuitWalBuyTowerCityMart, or am I gonna have to hunt for it?

7. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Oh Yes, it will be mine. Can't wait to pick this one up, especially for the track Florida Room, love that tune. This has been a great month for Fagen/Steely Dan. Everything Must Go, Kamakiriad, and to boot, I just received my Dan concert tickets for latter this summer. Im almost at Dan overload!! And loving every moment of it!![​IMG]
    Phil

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Hopefully Best Buy will have this one today.

Both BB's closest to me didn't even get the new Steely Dan yet. [​IMG]

10. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

No dice at Best Buy (called 2 stores), Circuit City (1), or Tower (1). Found and reserved a copy at a local Mom 'n Pop.[​IMG]

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

No dice on the 2 new releases.

But.......they finally got "Everything Must Go".

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Some interesting news on the recording and why it lists 48K on the packaging...it is 48K. From HFR:

14. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Interesting comments Lee. I like to see truth in labeling whenever possible.

I kind of wish SACD did the same thing, letting us know when the disc was sourced from PCM elements (most recordings from the past 20 years), editing was done in PCM (many SACD, including some of the Stones), and what was the original sampling rate and word length of the original recording. Right now all we get is a DSD label which leaves the big (many times PCM) picture obsucred. For most people sampling rates are not a big deal regardless of format, but as an audio enthusiast I find such knowledge a benefit.

[​IMG] Schiener [​IMG] Warner for allowing accurate packaging

J

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

16. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Cant believe I waited almost 3 weeks to get this one, but I finally picked it up over the weekend. Wow! I don't remember liking Kamakiriad this much when it 1st came out (content wise), but revisiting it has me really enjoying the content more and more. Maybe the the difference between listening to it in my early 20's compared to my early 30's. Oh yeah, and the mix sounds great! This is my new favorite DVD-A as well now. And at $10.99 at Media Play, it was a steal.
    Phil