What's new

Don Hertzfeldt animation available on Blu-Ray via Kickstarter (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
As an animation festival geek, I am too often sad that my favorite animated short films are not on Blu-ray, and for some, even the DVDs appear to have been authored with very limited resources.

Related to this, over the years I have purchased DVDs of Don Hertzfeldt's work.

1412025451-0.jpg

It almost always cracks me up. I first saw Lily & Jim at a "Sand & Twisted" animation festival, though it is not either of those things. (Hertzfeldt's Rejected deserves that moniker.)

Here is Lily & Jim

Here is a link to Rejected which is his most admired and recognized short

Why am I posting this in the Blu-ray category of the forum?

I just found out via Facebook that Don is hoping to make a Blu-ray collection of some of his short films, and the most funds he gets from Kickstarter, the more films he will re-author and add to Blu-ray.

From what I can tell, the only way to get the Blu-ray is to buy one through funding his Kickstarter.

(If plegding $20 gets the Blu-ray, I don't see how this is that much different that pre-ordering it, albeit a year in advance.)

If these films crack you up and you want them on Blu-ray, this is the time to order one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1072409840/hertzfeldt-on-blu-ray

I wish the studios would consider doing something similar. Put in a $30 pledge on Kickstarter for that film you love to be released on Blu-ray so the studio knows they have the money and can proceed. Obviously it would need to be for films that do not need significant restoration (e.g. Raintree County), but why I am still waiting for a Blu-ray of films I know have perfectly acceptable transfers like James Whale's Show Boat, or Blake Edwards' Victor/Victoria?

For the record, I do not work or get any kind of perk for posting this here. I listing this is a problem because of the link the Kickstarter to purchase the Blu-ray, I will completely understand if this topic gets deleted.

Cheers!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks