Don Cheadle was NOT in Ocean's Eleven!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_R_C, May 18, 2002.

1. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

I'm sure this was already brought up, but I just recently saw Ocean's Eleven on DVD (I don't go to the theater anymore.) Anyways, Don Cheadle's name is not in the final credits! What's up with this?

2. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Uncredited performance, but oh boy he was there as Bashar Tarr:
    "We're in Barney! (Beat) Barney Rubble. (Beat) TROUBLE!" [​IMG]
    Jason

3. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

God let's not get into how SHODDY his accent was.

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Yea, and Bill Murray was NOT in "Tootsie"![​IMG]

5. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Don Cheadle doesn't deserve to be in the credits. I really like some of his work, but his terrible job with Ocean's Eleven almost ruined the entire movie for me. That accent was sooooo bad, I cringed every time he said anything.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's my opinion that many have missed the point of Cheadle's performance! The whole film was nothing more than a stylish gag.

Crawdaddy

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Uncredited performances aren't uncommon. In addition to Bill Murray in Tootsie, I can also think of Robin Williams in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Gary Oldman in the theatrical release of Hannibal (he was added to the credits in video versions). The omission often results from a contractual dispute, and I believe that was the case with Cheadle in Ocean's 11.

M.

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

9. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

What kind of contractual dispute? What does that have to do with listing the fact that an actor played a certain role?

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Robert, FWIW, I agree. I believe that Don Cheadle is simply too skilled a performer to have done a poor accent, unless it was purposeful.
    While the situations aren't really comparable; It kind of reminds me of the commentary track on Boogie Nights where P.T. Anderson discusses how Julianne Moore was the best actor on the set, because she was able to turn in the worst acting during the shooting of Jack Horner's films within Boogie Nights. Which makes me wonder... Do any of the commentary tracks discuss Cheadle's accent? ( I haven't listened to any of them. )
    - Walter.

11. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Did you know that Kevin Bacon was also NOT in Novocaine? Well, unless you bothered to check www.imdb.com, which reveals the truth. BTW, some actors do appear in films as favors to the director/producer and they ask that they have an uncredited role. Whether the motive is money or just a gag they wanted to pull on the audience is usually something we couldn't know.
    Bruce

14. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

> Disputes leading to an actor's refusal to grant permission usually relate to money, which was apparently the case with Cheadle.

This "strategy" doesn't work very well; it's quite obvious he's in the movie. I didn't know he wasn't in the credits til I saw this thread. Most people don't pay attention to the end credits anyway.

Since you can't see the credits without attending/renting the movie, how is listing a name there promotional? I could see if we were talking about the poster or trailer, but the credits are part of the film.

I don't get the money argument. If he wasn't paid as much as he wanted, why do the role at all?

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

If I remember correctly, it was over a matter of how his name was placed. He felt that he merited above-the-title billing, but the studio was only willing to give below-the-title. He and his agent felt that Don taking "below" billing would affect which sort of parts he was offered (lower-paying "character" roles vs. leads/large supporting roles) and how he was perceived, so they opted out of having his name included at all.

It's not completely uncommon. Gene Hackman refused to have his name included in the advertising for The Firm for the same reason.

16. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

i remember anthony hopkins wasn't credited for mission impossible 2 and i was always wondering what was up with that. hell his character didn't even have a name.

17. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

Kevin Spacey isn't credited in Se7en, i believe...

18. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I think Soderbergh had a lot of fun with the credits on Ocean's Eleven. Didn't they say something like "And introducing Julia Roberts"? [​IMG]
    Rob

19. Chad Parks

Chad Parks Stunt Coordinator

I also think Don Cheadle's 'bad' accent was quite intentional in Ocean's 11, and it made his scenes play MUCH funnier, especially his introductory scene.

I take it to be comparable to the purposely HORRIBLE American accents used in Monty Python skits/films.

20. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit