What's new

Dolls (1987) DVD? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me if Stuart Gordon's campy 1987 horror flick "Dolls", is officially available on DVD in R1 yet?

I've seen a few discs listed on Ebay but all were for "import" titles and had asian characters on the cover so I've steared clear.

Does anyone know if this is currently available and if not, is it being planned for release anytime soon?

This was one of the first horror films I'd ever seen as a really young kid along with "Return Of The Living Dead", "Piranha" and "Creepshow".

I remember sleeping over at a friend's house one weekend in the early 80's and staying up all night watching horror movies in his basement. After the movie had ended, I agreed to press stop on the vcr. As I got up off the couch my friend took off running up the stairs leaving me standing alone and disoriented in the pitch black empty basement as the credits rolled. I spent the rest of the night kneeling in front of his parents toilet puking my guts out, traumatized. Hahaha, I couldnt fall asleep for an entire week.

Anyways, I haven't seen this movie since and I'd really like to get hold of it on DVD. If it's not already available, somebody should really work on getting it released. Any idea as to which studio holds rights?

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Well I own the one from HKFLIX. It looks like VHS quality but I love this film so much I wanted it on DVD. Huge inspiration for the Puppet Master films.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
As far as I know there is no talk about a R1 DVD release.
I have this movie on both the US LD and the better looking Japanese LD.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Some kind of prejudice... are you kidding?

I don't want foregin language text of any kind on American releases just as I don't want English language text on my foreign covers, the same reason I import all my Disney / Buena Vista discs cause of their horrible bilingual packaging and likewise ordered the French edition of 'Les Triplettes de Belleville'...

I want a proper region 1 release, not some questionable Asian import with shoddy vhs video quality and faulty audio mix mastering.

Anyways, thanks for the link but I already knew about that version and am skeptical of any $4 title...

Can anyone confirm that MGM is in fact the rights holder to this movie? I really hope this gets a proper release in North America sometime soon...

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

... So does that mean you have to miss out on virtually all of the Criterion Collection international titles (Godard, Truffaut etc...)?

I have the HK version of Dolls, and whilst the 5.1 mix isn't perfect, I'd rather have the film than not. $5 including p&p isn't exactly going to break the bank.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Finally!!

This is one of those obscure cult titles that I wasn't expecting to see on DVD anytime soon.. I'm so happy I'll finally be able to watch it again!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks