Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Title: Dolemite Is My Name (2019)

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Director: Craig Brewer

Release: 2019-09-07

Runtime: 118

Plot: The story of Rudy Ray Moore, who created the iconic big screen pimp character Dolemite in the 1970s.

DOLEMITE IS MY NAME. In Limited Release. Netflix Oct. 25th

Rudy Ray Moore (Eddie Murphy) was a true from the streets success. And, a late bloomer, as it were. After years of trying to breakthrough as an entertainer in L.A., the 40-something Moore took some stories he heard around his neighborhood and created the stand up comedian character of the cocky Dolemite. That act lead to underground success with self-released record albums and touring. With the Blacksploitation film genre exploding, it was only a matter of time until Dolemite hit the big screen.

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski's script traces those crucial years in Moore's life in the early 70s. A raw, rude and raucous screenplay it is. Director Craig Brewer mostly keeps to the spirit of the writing and lets the dialogue and the acting take center stage.

And, with Eddie Murphy delivering a strong energetic performance, it's best to stand back and let him fly. And, soar he does. With the makeup, hair and some extra pounds, Murphy takes on the dynamo persona of Moore/Dolemite. Occasionally, Murphy is "too good" an actor to totally capture the rough hewn Moore, who was more a force of nature than a smooth performer -- but, it's hard to fault him for giving "too good" a performance! Wesley Snipes is almost unrecognizable as D'urville Martin, a "name" actor who Moore lures by letting him Direct. Kodi Smit-McPhee plays Nicholas Von Sternberg* Dolemite's cinematographer straight out of film school who leads a band of young white behind the scenes crew members. The real scene stealer is Da'Vine Joy Randolph as Lady Reed, a small town girl who Moore discovers on tour. The entire cast throws themselves into this with a verge and enthusiasm that is palpable.

The movie is a bit too long, with padded exposition and too close a fealty to the bio-pic template, but, as Dolemite himself might say: Who gives a $^@# about that!? You want action? You want laughs? You want some nasty?! We got it all!

Listen to Dolemite.

* Note: I've worked closely with Nick Von Sternberg, so yes, it's based on a true person. Very kind gentleman. Indeed, he is the son of master filmmaker Josef Von Sternberg (although he passed when Nick was still a teen). Nick worked for over two decades as a cinematographer before leaving the business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This is essentially The Disaster Artist. The cast is great, it's a pleasure watching Murphy again, and the whole story is entertaining. I enjoyed it a lot.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This movie is a blast. I'm surprised it has not received more attention in this forum. It's hilarious, and I'd be surprised if there aren't several award nominations come awards time - including Eddie Murphy as best actor. The language is pretty rough so that probably limits appeal to many. So much more enjoyable than yet another CGI film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Was this film released theatrically anywhere?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks