What's new

DolbyTrueHD much "softer" than DTS-MA (on my PS3/Denon3808)? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I have noticed that the "quality" of DolbyTrueHD from my PS3 is much lower than DTS-MA. My PS3 is connected to a Denon AVR-3808CI with an HDMI cable, and the PS3 is set for LPCM. DTS-MA comes through loud and clear, as well as PCM, which really sounds the very best. When DolbyTrueHD is played back, not only does the level seem much lower, (sometimes as much as 5dB), but the sound almost seems "muddled", so much so that we sometimes even have to put on the subtitles to understand dialogue when we watch a movie with the audio in this format. "The Incredible Hulk" and "Horton Hears A Who", and particularly "Lost-Season 4" blow the doors off, but "Transformers" and "Iron Man" sound just OK.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My gear plays the HD audio formats lower than the SD audio formats, however DD+, TrueHD and DTS-Core (I cannot decode DTS-MA yet) are all decoded and sent as analog LPCM from my BD player to receiver. I do not have an issue of one HD codec playing softer than others or being muddled.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Make sure the dynamic range compression on the PS3 is set to off / widest range, not "auto". TrueHD has something in its spec that allows the disc to turn on DRC, and Transformers/Iron Man are two of the discs that are known to be incorrectly flagged to trigger this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks