What's new

UHD Dolby Vision UHD blu ray titles list (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I was unable to find a clear list of Dolby Vision UHD blu Rays. Are the discs even labeled?

The two confirmed titles that I know of are:
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2

Are there others?

I am also unable to find confirmed Dolby Vision information for The Lego Batman Movie UHD blu ray.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for posting!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I noted the back cover of the Batman Lego Movie does not note the Dolby Vision on it. Not sure how Warner is communicating this to consumers.

They are not. I read somewhere that they are concerned it would just add further confusion to the consumers around 4K. So there will be nothing but maybe a Dolby Vision logo on the box. It will still just say HDR on the front. Since it is a lot trickier to even get it running at this point since only a couple players support it and no receivers today will do pass-through. Although several receivers are slated to get the upgrade if they are 2016-2017 models. Given that maybe 10% or less of the 4K base can actually play DV discs why confuse the average customer.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is Dolby Vision a 4K only feature? Meaning a 3D disc will never have it? That's surprising the receivers can't do a pass thru.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Is Dolby Vision a 4K only feature? Meaning a 3D disc will never have it? That's surprising the receivers can't do a pass thru.
Yes, it is only 4K, it is basically HDR10 but instead of applied once for the whole film it can be tweaked for every frame. It is a proprietary format that vendors have to pay Dolby to use. Honestly when Dynamic HDR comes out I think it kills DV but I also predicted that DV would just be a streaming only format. It requires code/firmware or hardware to pass through. Most gear doesn't have the horsepower to do it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
They are not. I read somewhere that they are concerned it would just add further confusion to the consumers around 4K. So there will be nothing but maybe a Dolby Vision logo on the box. It will still just say HDR on the front. Since it is a lot trickier to even get it running at this point since only a couple players support it and no receivers today will do pass-through. Although several receivers are slated to get the upgrade if they are 2016-2017 models. Given that maybe 10% or less of the 4K base can actually play DV discs why confuse the average customer.

If you look at the article I posted it does appear that universal is labeling Dolby Vision on the back side with the disc specs.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The two confirmed titles that I know of are:
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2

Are there others?

I think there are 2 or 3 others with close upcoming releases, but those may be the only US non-Demo type disc released to date

I think confirmed, but not released yet
Fast and Furious 8 (7/11)
PowerRangers (6/27)
Resident Evil Vendetta (7/18)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think there are 2 or 3 others with close upcoming releases, but those may be the only US non-Demo type disc released to date

I think confirmed, but not released yet
Fast and Furious 8 (7/11)
PowerRangers (6/27)
Resident Evil Vendetta (7/18)

Much appreciated!!!
Hopefully they will add info on the packaging for Dolby Vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks