What's new

Dolby Vision pass-through AVR or TV? (1 Viewer)

blacam00

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I have an LG OLED TV compatible with Dolby Vision, my blu-ray is also Dolby Vision capable, and my AVR is also Dolby Vision capable.

Was wondering if it makes a difference whether my DVD player passes the dolby vision video signal through the AVR first or if it's better to send it straight to the TV?

Thanks!

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
You'll get differing opinions on this but I feel it's just fine to pass the signal thru the AVR. Certainly makes wire management to TV easier and I don't feel if affects the picture. One thing though: make sure the AVR isn't doing any processing to the signal. You want a straight pass-thru. Depending on the AVR model, it'll be somewhere in the on-screen menu. For example, on a Denon, you'll want to make sure under "Video" that "Picture Adjust" is off. Same with "i/p Scaler" in the "Output Settings." Hope this helps!

blacam00

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
This is the first time I have purchased a player that has a separate HDMI for audio only, which had me thinking perhaps it was more efficient to only let audio pass through the AVR.

I also notice my AVR gets slightly warmer/hotter when I pass through it.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is the first time I have purchased a player that has a separate HDMI for audio only, which had me thinking perhaps it was more efficient to only let audio pass through the AVR.

I also notice my AVR gets slightly warmer/hotter when I pass through it.
There are people who swear by sending the hdmi directly to the TV, but as long as the AVR isn't doing any processing, it really shouldn't make a difference. Plus, that makes the system more complicated. More switching involved, plus you lose any OSD capability from the AVR.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've tried it both ways with my current AVR/projector set-up and didn't notice any difference.

I'd actually prefer a "video only" HDMI output on my player, so I can send the video feed to a second display without needing to buy special adapters/splitters. I've never understood the point of "audio only" HDMI output.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'd actually prefer a "video only" HDMI output on my player, so I can send the video feed to a second display without needing to buy special adapters/splitters. I've never understood the point of "audio only" HDMI output.
The audio-only output is for compatibility with older receivers that do not support 4K video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks