1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dolby Vision a must get on new 4k player?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by drewster98, Jun 2, 2018.

1. drewster98

drewster98 Auditioning

Andrew Mumford
    I'm currently shopping around for a new 4k player and noticed some have Dolby Vision support. Is DV something that I will want in the near future? Is DV basically the same as HDR and we are just waiting to see which of the two wins out? Is there a 4k player that people recommend? I already have a Xbox One X but I've read that it doesn't actually do a good job with 4k. Thanks in advance......

2. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    Dolby Vision is frame based HDR and can look better than standard HDR. If you have a TV capable of showing DV or if you are planning a purchase of a DV TV, then I would buy a bluray with DV.

LG and Sony both make 4k blurays that can do Dolby. In Sony it is the UBP-x700. The 800 does Hi Res audio but no Dolby Vision and there is no way to upgrade it to do DV.

Nothing I know of from Samsung can do Dolby Vision.

This HDR fight reminds me of the beta VS VHS battle. Beta was better IMO, but lost out because of Sony being too proprietary.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If your 4K display does not support Dolby Vision, then the feature will be useless on any UHD player you purchase. If your display does support DV, then it makes sense to buy a player that also supports the feature.

In addition to the Sony and LG models Brian mentioned, Oppo makes a DV-capable player (if you can still find one) and Panasonic has a couple of announced models that are currently available overseas and will be available in the U.S. soon.