What's new

Dolby True HD - DTS HD (1 Viewer)

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
Hello out there!

I have the Onkyo 605, and the Sony BDSP300 blu-ray player, and I can't get it to play in HD sound formats. I made sure the back of the movie said Dolby True HD on it before I got all twisted over it. Is this player not rated for anything higher than Dolby and DTS? If not, I know that the Onkyo is, so shouldnt it be able to decode it into an HD format? I have it all hooked up 1.3 HDMI, and all 7 of the channels on the receiver are utilized, due to the fact that my fronts are bi-wired. I actually just scored a Sony 350 free with my new Sony W4100... is this one going to do the same thing, or will it be compatible? Where am I going so wrong? :eek: Any help always appreciated!!

Thank you!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not positive, but I don't think the Sony 300 supports Dolby TrueHD out of the box. I think it is hdmi vs. 1.1. It might thru hdmi via multi-channel pcm with a firmware update. Check Sony's website.

Brent_S

Second Unit
According to the Audioholics review, the S300 does not decode or bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD so there's no way for you to play back those formats. Endgadget says a firmware update has added internal TrueHD decoding that would pass as MPCM to the 605. The 605 will display MultiChannel PCM or something like that, not TrueHD if you go that route.

The 350 by all accounts will bitstream all formats so you should be good to go with the 605. You still need to make sure you select the appropriate track in the disc's setup menu, some titles will default to DD/DTS even if TrueHD/DTS-HD/MPCM are present.

-Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks