What's new

Dolby Surround vs Dolby Digital (1 Viewer)

Shivvvvvvv

Auditioning
Real Name
Shivam
I have an old receiver that has Dolby Surround. Most of the content I play is Dolby Digital. Is my receiver capable of playing back the surround sound coded into my content, or is it just playing stereo?

Shivvvvvvv

Auditioning
Real Name
Shivam
One more question:
If my Dolby Digital content already has the content coded, does that mean that my Dolby Surround receiver won't have to encode that signal?
AKA my receiver is almost capable of playing back what was coded?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
All Dolby sound formats on dvd are technically Dolby Digital as its just an encoding and compression format. I'm assuming what you have is an old ProLogic 1 from the early 90s. That's the home consumer version of the old Dolby Stereo from the 70s and 80 and it was designed to work with stereo sources (specifically ones withe Dolby LT-RT matrix information) only. Dolby 5.1 (which is the theatrical DD format) has four additional discrete channels that are not compatible with your receiver.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have an old receiver that has Dolby Surround. Most of the content I play is Dolby Digital. Is my receiver capable of playing back the surround sound coded into my content, or is it just playing stereo?
You're most likely getting a stereo downmix from your DVD player that your receiver decides into Dolby Pro Logic's pseudo surround output.

Dolby Digital is far, far better than Pro Logic. It's a huge upgrade if you've got 5.1 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks