What's new

Dolby Surround 2.0 (1 Viewer)

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen this on quite a few DVDs for older movies. What does it mean? Is it the same as Pro Logic or is it simply stereo?

Depending on the movie I'll set my reciever to either Surround or Stereo, which ever sounds better. Some discs have too much emphasis on the center in surround mode.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It means that there are 2 channels of information encoded in the Dolby Digital format. The "Surround" generally indicates that the 2 channels are intended to be played back through a Dolby ProLogic system (ProLogic is a playback mode).

M.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
But if it says "surround" will there always be out of phase information for the rears, or is it possible that it is intended for stereo reproduction?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What you're really asking is whether the labeling is always accurate. The answer is "no". :)

The question is becoming more and more academic. With the wide availability of such decoding processes as ProLogic II, DTS:Neo 6 and Logic7, the ability to direct appropriate sounds to the rears is far less dependent on whether the recording was matrix-encoded.

M.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dolby 2.0 is stereo. There is no "recorded" information for the rears. Pro-Logic extracts sound information from a stereo signal and simulates the other channels, as do many DSP modes, but that information is not a separate track present in the stereo signal.

Typically when you have a stereo DVD, that is because the movie was originally recorded/mastered that way. The fact that it is stereo can have any number of reasons, but a common one could simply be that this was the best that was available at the time the movie was made. It may also be stereo by choice of the director.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But if it says "surround" will there always be out of phase information for the rears
I was referring to this statement. It is not clear if the questions is asking if the information is a separate track, but that is how it sounded to me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In the absence of other indications, Bill's use of the term "out of phase" information demonstrates (to me at least) that he understands ProLogic decoding better than most people.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks