Dolby SR ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PeterK, Jul 4, 2005.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

A new theatre in my town just opened and they are advertising dolby SR surround in their theatres. Just what is this? and how does it compare to dolby digital?

Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The "SR" stands for "Spectral Recording". Dolby used that name for its theatrical implementation of what, in home theater, came to be ProLogic. It's an analog system that was state-of-the-art in the mid-80s. It's primary use today is as the fallback when a digital system fails or isn't available.

Either this new theater has very old technology, or the people doing the promotion don't understand the terminology (which isn't uncommon).

M.

3. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Not exactly.

Dolby SR is a noise reduction (NR) system that brought up the fidelity and dynamic range of the master tapes and (later) the film prints. Pro Logic & Dolby Surround (theatrically Dolby Stereo)are processes. Before SR theaters and masters used Dolby "A" type NR. You can run any 2-channel soundtrack no matter what NR is used thru Dolby Pro-Logic (surround envelopment may vary of course).

Professional installs refer to Dolby Digital as SR*D, which is a print with a Dolby AC-3 encoded soundtrack with SR analog back up.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I suspect that's what this theater meant to advertise.

M.

5. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

I as well. Of course, to make it really confusing they could have advertised it as having AC-3!

6. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Wait for them to advertise Tim Burton's Batman instead of the more recent prequel as a coming attraction. [​IMG]

7. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I don't know guys. it's a pretty low key facility I think. it's a rainbow cinemas theatre. here it is. there are only 4 screens, and as you can see the admission price is very cheap (those are canadian dollars if you're wondering) So, I wouldn't really be surprised if this theatre was equipped with sub standard audio and video.

I am gonna have to go check it out personally.