Dolby receiver or Dolby processor w/ power amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

I have been reading alot of posts and looking at alot of your surround setups. I have a question, many of you are using receivers with power amps. Is there a preamp option or what? and what would be the best setup [$not an issue]?
    I dont want brands or model #'s just components in theory and how they are hooked up.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Many are using receivers instead as preamps I believe for 2 reasons:
    1- They started out with a receiver they could afford, then added external amps
    2- Preamps are ridiculously expensive and often do not offer more than the more expensive receivers. So until a certain budget, you are better off buying a feature ladden receiver + amps. Now Outlaw is coming out with an affordable preamp ~$1000 I believe, which should fill a gaping whole in the market (That of affordable, yet feature ladden preamps).
    --
    Holadem

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I use pre-amps!
    Not because it sounds better or anything, but it make me feel more manly and boosts my pride because I have a bigger rack then all of you!
    HAHAHA!

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Well I was wondering. how do you attach power ams to a receiver? If there are preamp outs, arent you wasting the amps in the receiver?

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Geno, most receivers > $500 have preouts (outputs before the amp stage) and yes, you are waisting the amps... but again, buying a receiver is usually the best way to get a good preamp section at an affordable price. Also, many people still use the amps in their receivers for say, the surrounds or the back channels etc..
    --
    Holadem

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Geno,
    I wouldn't say you are wasting the amps of the receiver, your just allocating its resource for the rear speakers only. Until you get into the higher end receivers(eg: Denon 4802, 5800) the amps of a receiver just don't compare to those of a dedicated amp. After adding an external amp to my Denon 1801, I am completely amazed at what I was missing coming out of my speakers. I hear detail that I just didn't hear before. And my rear speakers have come alive. It is definitely worth the addition to a HT.
    Kevin
    [Edited last by Kevin. W on November 01, 2001 at 09:05 AM]

7. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Thanks guys, that really helps alot. I am a begginner at HT stuff but Ive had the pleasure of growing up with an audiophile for a father. I have enough dedicated amps to spend the $ on a pre/pro but I still live in an apartment so I cannot build cabs or turn it up too loud. But I do want surround. Right now I have a lot of parts to put a system together but im using the minimum.
    I have an Epson powerlite 710c with a Nikko Alpha/Beta II setup. So now that I have the PS2 and a DVD player, I would like 5.1. But every review says too much clarity and power is taken off until you get to the $1500 plus range on most receivers anyway. If I spent that, I could use it on a decent pre/pro instead. What r your suggestions?

8. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I too am trying to learn more about adding an external amp.
    If I were to add a 3 channel amplifier to my existing sony 777ES and used it to power the front three speakers would this offer a noticeable difference in sound quality from what I am hearing now? (Acurus 200wpc x 3)?
    Also, how would this affect my current crossover settings which are adjusted through my recievers internal crossover? With more power going to my three front speakers then to the surrounds would my system stay calibrated.
    One last question if I added a separate 3 channel amp and free'd up the three front channels on my reciever could those channels be used for lets say a 7.1 setup?
    Regards,
    Greggor

9. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Geno,
    When you look at HT Pre/pro's you'll be surprised by what $1500 won't buy you. I believe the Outlaw pre/pro is around $900 to start but there aren't many that cheap. Of course all the high end ones like Meridian, Tag, Lexicon are way higher than $1500. Its a quandry but the exact reason why Outlaw is targeting that price point.
    If price is not a problem then pre/pro external amping is definitely the way to go.
    Greggor,
    For the most part, unless your talking about receivers like the Denon 5800, B&K 307, Onkyo 989, etc. external amping like an Acurus 3x200wpc amp would most likely be better. I don't know about your 777es but I've heard that the Acurus amps are quite good.
    I presently own a Denon 5800 which I upgraded to from an inexpensive Sherwood 8090. The difference in quality of the amps is immense (but of course so was the price differential). The clarity of the highs and the clean bass are very pronounced. I'm sure if I went to externally amping with something like a Bryston amp while using the 5800 as a pre/pro would probably improve the sound even more.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    Evidence of my obsession.

10. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Ok im getting the picture of what I need. Ill get the pre/pro sometime because I have 2 x Bogen 600 watt amps, and a 2 x 120 Nikko amp. Im sure I can round up another Nikko or the same quality amp for pretty cheap when I go 6 channels. Would these be OK to drive my speakes? Would the speakers hooked to the Bogens completely overpower the other speakers?
    And if I was to get a decent receiver to tide me over for a while, for under $500, what would you suggest?

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Today it's tough to tell because the higher end receivers give you high quality sound in comparison to seperate amps. For me as a D.J. from years ago, seperates was the way to go for me. But in that application it required three amps for with a 3 way crossover, Highs, Middle and lows (bass). Seperating all three frequency ranges gave me flexibility and more extension in regards to headroom and volume. In HT applications of course it's different but I think seperates give you a great deal of flexibility in performance. You can even go as far as to add equalizers to each channel to moderate and create sound that's pleasing to you. A receiver won't allow you to do this. The advantage a receiver has is that all it's channel directly shares the same DAC and if it's a good DAC the sound is good. The same with a preamp. I like the flexibility of Seperates, I don't have it yet but if I had the bread, the cheese, cold hard cash, I would do seperates.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

12. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

OK, I just went to my local Hi-fi store to look at pre/pro's and they have a nice Rotel rsp-976 in my price range. Does anyone have any - or + on this unit?

13. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Geno: I saw your other post, but I'll answer here since the questions is more specific. I just added the Rotel RSP 976 and a Rotel RMB 1075 5 x 125 amp. I was using a Nakamichi AV-10 receiver (100 x 5) before going to the Rotel gear.
    The difference, as I hear it, is in the amount of available power I now have versus the Nak. When I push the volume, the sound just gets louder. With the Nak, the sound would get more shrill as the volume increased. I'm also hearing more out of my rear speakers. The last benefit: better quality sound at lower volume.
    For the money, the Rotel RSP 976 is a great value. However, I still highly recommend the Nak as a classy, dependable DD DTS receiver.

14. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

BTW those Bogens I just found out are only 100 watts, my bad, I thought they were solid state, but they are 100w tube mono amps. [​IMG]