What's new

Dolby ProLogic IIx unveiled (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I heard about this new format a few weeks ago. Apparently Dolby will be making an announcement at Cedia shorlty to unveil it.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I imagine DTS:Neo7 or DTS:NeoX or some other form of a similar processing from DTS will follow suit shortly.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this finally break Logic 7's "supremacy"?
I figure their supporters will say " no way" !
Time will tell.;)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Dolby Pro Logic IIx is the first and only technology to process any native stereo or 5.1 signal into a 6.1- or 7.1- channel output, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience.
What about Logic 7 or Rotels XS processing? they can both do 7.1 from 5.1 and L7 can do it from 2 channel as well. And Rotels XS processing runs on top of PLII or DTS NEO to generate the back two channels so this really isn't anything that new.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What about Logic 7 or Rotels XS processing? they can both do 7.1 from 5.1 and L7 can do it from 2 channel as well
It's all in the phrasing. What I suspect they mean is that DPL IIx is the only one that can do either "6.1" or "7.1". Logic 7 doesn't have a setting for a "6.1" configuration, and I assume Rotel doesn't either.

M.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Looks like it is only worth it if you have a 7.1 system though which alot of people still stick with 5.1 due to either a cheaper cost, room restrictions, or just bought something before 7.1 came out and don't want to buy any additional.

Either way I don't see much point in it. I love Logic7 but it's just a personal preference I guess.

Rick Ewing

Agent
It is important for a very good reason: accessibility. Since Logic7 isn't licensed to anyone else, this is the going to being 7.1 derived processing to a greater marketplace. Also, DPL IIx will derive information from 2 channel, DPL/DPL II and Dolby Digital & EX softwsre (even DTS is possible). Only Logic7 on Lexicon products or the discontinued HK AVR 8000 can process Dolby Digital 5.1 signals.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
It's all in the phrasing. What I suspect they mean is that DPL IIx is the only one that can do either "6.1" or "7.1". Logic 7 doesn't have a setting for a "6.1" configuration, and I assume Rotel doesn't either.
Actually Rotels XS works great for 6.1 or 7.1

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I know this doesn't apply to this topic but you realize how insane it is when you go to the movies... it's about $9.00 and that's even in a bad theater.... Man what a rip off. Well aside from that...

New Dolby Pro Logic IIx recievers.

Only $150 extra for no reason.

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah,

and we can ignore it. Thats what I'll be doing.

I just finally made my step from ProLogic (1) into the digital world with a 7.1 system. If Sony ends up offering an affordable upgrade path to load ProLogic IIx in with the existing ProLogic II, then I might, otherwise, I'll leave it with the existing algorithms and Sony's own systems that generate the 7.1 soundfield. They are fine for me.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Dolby had the ability to do DPL2x at the time that DPL2 was developed. They just waited till the so-called "7.1" mania matured a little. If there was a "10.1" format as of today, they could probably do that too. You can probably tell that I'm not biting this time. Maybe at a later time, or maybe through an inexpensive software upgrade, but NO NEW HARDWARE FOR ME - not now.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
When I first attended a demo months before any PLII units came to market at (the creator of PLII) Jim Fosgates house I asked him if it was able to do 7.1 and he just smiled and said PLII could do 7.1 and did not elaborate any more on it!
I think they new they had a new upgrade to offer in a couple years!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks