Dolby prologic and DD 5.1 volume differences

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Bartlett, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I have an HK 210 and when watching a movie in dolby surround I have to turn the volume much higher than when watching in DD 5.1. Is this normal? I took out the spl meter and when running a setup disk the volume in the dolby surround is definitely lower, problem is if I make a change to the speaker levels it affects all dolby digital modes. I noticed this when watching moulin rouge. I had the master volume on -20 when watching the movie in DD 5.1 and when I watched the music video on disk 2 I had to turn it up to -5 to approximate the same level. Any ideas?

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

For the two cases (DD and Surround), are the speakers still balanced? If so, I wouldn't worry about the volume level. I notice lots of difference from one DVD to another, maybe because of the same DD/Surround difference you are seeing (I never bothered to keep track), or maybe just differences in the way the discs are produced and the way the sound is designed.