What's new

Dolby prologic and DD 5.1 volume differences (1 Viewer)

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HK 210 and when watching a movie in dolby surround I have to turn the volume much higher than when watching in DD 5.1. Is this normal? I took out the spl meter and when running a setup disk the volume in the dolby surround is definitely lower, problem is if I make a change to the speaker levels it affects all dolby digital modes. I noticed this when watching moulin rouge. I had the master volume on -20 when watching the movie in DD 5.1 and when I watched the music video on disk 2 I had to turn it up to -5 to approximate the same level. Any ideas?

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
For the two cases (DD and Surround), are the speakers still balanced? If so, I wouldn't worry about the volume level. I notice lots of difference from one DVD to another, maybe because of the same DD/Surround difference you are seeing (I never bothered to keep track), or maybe just differences in the way the discs are produced and the way the sound is designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks