What's new

Dolby Pro Logic (1 Viewer)

cello888

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcello Montemagno
hi,
I've a simple question, i know that Dolby Pro Logic system transform stereo signal into 5.1 with great quality.
Searching for my first home Theater i see that Dolby Pro Logic is not present into yamaha specification.
maybe yamaha call this tecnology in some other way???
thx
p.s
sorry for some english mistakes (I'm italian)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Welcome to the forum!

Any receiver made in the last decade or so will have some form of Dolby ProLogic support. The current version is "Dolby ProLogic IIz". Which model Yamaha receiver(s) are you considering?

ProLogic really is more of a "fallback" option, rather than a "first choice" when it comes to audio listening. Most television/movie sources are going to support Dolby Digital 5.1 or greater (via HDMI or digital cables). Only VHS and some older LaserDisc players come to mind as sources likely to offer stereo only.

CDs are naturally stereo, and could utilize ProLogic for simulated surround sound, but this is often not desired as the intended format of 2 channel music is stereo.

If you can tell us more about what you're trying to accomplish, what source(s) you will connect to the system, your location and budget, perhaps we can help suggest some good components for you.

cello888

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcello Montemagno
actually i like this product
http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-298_g/
- my budget is about 300/350 euro
- I would like the possibility to listen also digital tv (actually stereo) in 5.1
- I would like support for 3d audio
- cause I'm new to the world of home theater i like the idea of some system like YPAO or equivalent
I will connect my lg 42lm660s tv and my ps3 to the home theater

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You won't have to worry about anything with that system. It's a good system and should serve you well. YPAO is a good thing to have - it will ensure you get the best possible performance out of the system.

When you get the system, be sure to set it up and connect your devices correctly - that is, all of your source devices (TV/satellite, PS3) should connect to the receiver via HDMI cable, then you run a single HDMI cable from the output on the receiver to an input on your TV.

With devices connected this way, you switch both audio and video at the receiver and leave the TV set to a single input and mute the speakers. It will be simple to operate and will provide you with the best sound possible for all your devices.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The best part of that system you picked. When the day comes you decide you want better speakers(and that day will come) you can buy pretty much anything you want.
Italy(if that is where you are) has a couple highly regarded speaker companies.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The YHT-298 has PL, PLII, and DTS Neo decoding (page 39 of the English version of the manual). Keep in mind that these are simulated surround modes, you're really are only getting 2 channels of audio. So when you have a source with true surround sound, don't use these mode, use one of Yamaha's Scene settings instead (or "Straight" 5.1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks