Dolby Pro Logic II (Light & Full) vs. Harman Kardon's Logic 7

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier Villa, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Javier Villa

Javier Villa Auditioning

How does Logic 7 from Harman Kardon compares to Dolby Pro Logic II. Both transfrom two channel stereo and matrixed prologic into 5 channel sound. Right?

What about the difference between pro logic II lite version and full version. What customization benefits does full version have?

Thanks

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Javier,

I believe Logic7 takes a sound source and converts it into 7 (non-discrete) channels. DPLII does this but converts into 5 channels.

I think I read on this forum that a 7-channel version of DPLII may be something we'll see in the future, but I'm not honestly sure it that was speculation or fact.

3. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Logic 7 takes a source and turns it into 5 or 7 discrete channels, at least on there receiver line. From what I've heard from others, they prefer the logic 7 to the DPLII. I have not heard it myself much yet, but will when my AVR 320 gets here next week.

Nick L

5. Ben Yang

Ben Yang Extra

Logic 7 is significantly superior to DPL 1 on my HK510. I haven't heard DPL 2 yet, but am quite satisfied with logic 7 and am convinced that it's superior to DLP 1 in terms of producing a convincing and natural surround experience.

Remember, that HK's logic7 isn't HK's (originally). It's from Lexicon who is now owned by Harman international. Hence the technology sharing.

Of course all these options pale in comparison to DD / DTS but unless all you watch is dvd, the majority of cable / dish / off air is old fashioned stereo.

my 2 cents.

Ben

6. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

The Logic 7 is disaabled on my H-K 520 because... I only have 5 speakers connected. Actually, it's probably because I don't have the 6th and 7th channels connects to amps.

This leaves me with H-K's 5-channel stereo, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6. For two months, we've been listening to the different modes (including Circle Surround on other receivers we've had).

At times, one sounds better than the others (depends on what you're listening to, and listener preference). We did blind testing (you switch, I listen, etc.) and it's not easy to say any one is BETTER, just sounds different.

... on a related note... does anyone know the difference between the H-K 510 and the 520? They are using the 510 at the demo room, but selling the 520. Is 510 an earlier model?

I've debated a 320 instead of the 520 (don't need 7 channels, but want the extra power)... gotta see what they're doing to the prices this week... I think I read them wrong and the prices change every few days here (Montreal/Christmas/Boxing Day Effect).

7. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

With the new HK X20 series, you can choose whether you want Logic 7 in 5.1 or 7.1, depending on the number of speakers that you are running. You can also choose between L7 for cinema or music.

I've been using a 320 for awhile now after returning my Marantz 8200. You can easily compare L7 to DPLII with a puch of a button.

I prefer the L7 cinema setting for music myself(?), and to me atleast, it doesn't even compare to DPLII, it just always sounds better.

Funny thing is the entire reason for my upgrade was to get DPLII!

I think I'm just going to keep the 320, use it as a pre/pro and upgrade my remote & amp.

The L7 alone makes it a keeper for me, plus the selectable crossover points!

Phil

8. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Gee, good choice Phil!
    [​IMG]