What's new

Dolby Pro-Logic II dedicated decoder? (1 Viewer)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Thanks to the raves on the forum and my computer's decoding of DPL2 through PowerDVD, I'm finally convinced about obtaining a DPL2 capable reciever. However, I'm not convinced enough to buy a new reciever in itself. My question is, is there a DPL2 dedicated decoder which will convert a stereo source (from my DVD or Laserdisc player) into 6 unmatrixed surround outputs for pre-ins into my existing reciever?

If so, where, and how much? (budget is fixed at around $150)

All help is gratefully appreciated.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
The very first DPL II product was just such a thing made for car systems. It is the Rockford/Fosgate RFQ-5000. For use in a home system you would need to find a way to get power to the thing. I don't know where to get them or how much they cost, but some web searches should help :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, car??? I'd love to have a DPL2 processor in my car!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hehe... I say, screw the 3 10" subs that you can hear 2 blocks down, i'd much rather have DPL2 surround sound... That'd be more impressive then just loud bass... :)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Scot and Craig,
The only company making such a product to date is essentially the founder of Fosgate and the developer of DPL-II, Jim Fosgate.
Here is the company homepage:
Fosgate

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help Bruce and Craig..

Not quite what I'm looking for. I guess I'll just have to have patience until I can afford a new reciever.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Scott:

I don't think you'll see one. A dedicated decoder was the route taken by manufacturers when AC3 (DD) came out, and the same when DTS was introduced. But DPL2 appears to be going straight to new receivers/prepros, bypassing the need for an "extra box". This rollout was pretty fast, I beleive most all of the 2002 products will have DPL2.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks